Ford 9" venting and brakes on Chevy truck

arqangel67

Reaction
I'm looking for ideas on how to vent the 9" in building, specifically whether I can move the vent location. I would preferably like to have both the vent and brake lines center mounted one one each side just center of the axle. My question about the venting is if I move it to the center section will it puke out oil? any help is greatly appreciated.

arqangel67

Reaction
Okay thanks, Should I plug the old vent hole or plug weld it?

arqangel67

Reaction
wouldn't the drain plug need to be threaded with a taper so it'll stop before it goes all the way in? If so how would that be done?

arqangel67

Reaction
Ok well I figured out what to do with the vent and brake lines, but now when I was removing the axles I noticed the big spacer in the axle shaft had a coule of gouges so I checked the axle tube and saw that it too was gouged. So my question is can the end just be replaced or is the tube have to be replaced?i

arqangel67

Reaction
Here is what I'm talking about
the first pic is of the gouged retainer spacer
Photo-0827.jpg

next 2 pics are of the axle e housing end
Photo-0828.jpg

Photo-0829.jpg

this pic is of the other side that isn't damaged
Photo-0830.jpg

this pic is of the axle it is 31 spline but I thought 31 splines didn't have a taper? It came out of a 79' F150
Photo-0831.jpg

and this is of the bearing showing it is a big bearing set 20 ,right?
Photo-0832.jpg

arqangel67

Reaction
Well I found that the gouge in the retainer is nothing and it won't affect anything although I am going to replace it just to be on the safe side.

Here is a link to the fill cap I went with and I'm gonna go with a Currie drain plug.
http://secure.chassisshop.com/partdetail/C73-752/