Ford E350 van suspension

Bham_Mike

Reaction
I have a 92 Ford 1 ton extended van that I use for hauling dirt bikes and camping. I would like to improve the ride offroad (mostly highly traveled dirt roads with pot holes and washboard surfaces). I've seen the Camburg kit, but they only sell it "installed" and my location doesn't make that possible. Not looking for a "lift kit" but just better working suspension (although a couple of inches in the front would help level out the van and allow more room for the next size larger tire). I'm asking on this forum thinking someone may have modified one as a chase vehicle or for exploring Baja or camping. Any advice on coils, shocks and rear leaf springs would be helpful.

thanks
Mike

drtdevil93

Reaction
i could build a leaf spring for it, we've done a lot of chase trucks.

(714) 542-3703

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have seen vans with motorhome coils instead of the stockers, little stiffer and give a mild lift.
Shocks, its all in the quality of shocks.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

ntsqd

Reaction
Shocks are key. Find or make a dual shock per tire arrangement and put some Bilstein's, Fox's, SAW's, or similar on the front in particular. Call your vendor of choice and get them to set the shocks up with the proper damping for your use.

As to lift springs, that can be easy and it can be a can of worms. Depending on what the coil's end shapes are you may be able to find a stock replacement spring with a taller free height and about the same spring rate. See if you can find your local brake & suspension parts warehouse, they'll sometimes sell direct and you should be able to talk them out of a catalog. The other option would be to look into how close the F series springs are. May be that one of the lift kit springs will work for you.
Camburg likely has a very good reason for "installed only". Hopefully Jerry can enlighten us and maybe for what you need there's a work-around.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

orvacian

Reaction
Rich at McKenzies in Fullerton has a van that looks like it may see some dirt, you may want to stop by and check it out.

ntsqd

Reaction
If I understand his location, Alabama is a long haul away.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages