Ford explorer class

starvenmarvin

Reaction
If i were to a 90s explorer in a stock class, would it be 7300 or 8100 or what, according to bitd rules.

djblakely

Reaction
It would have been a 3100, but I am hearing next year 3100 and 7300 will be combined. Seems like you may have knew this by asking 7300.

If you have not started the build yet, build it 7100/7s rules. It is cheaper to maintain. You have more trucks show up to race with and you will have more fun when you are not worrying about ripping a control arm or a spring mount off.

OldStroppeTeam

Reaction
BITD used to have a 3100 class.....with Rod Hall,Mike Falkoski,Pikes and others.. I think it still alive ?

starvenmarvin

Reaction
I thought that 7100 is stock production mini or midsized trucks.

"If you have not started the build yet, build it 7100/7s rules. It is cheaper to maintain. You have more trucks show up to race with and you will have more fun when you are not worrying about ripping a control arm or a spring mount off."

starvenmarvin

Reaction
What does jerrys say, i cant read it. Do you mind increasing the size a little more. And i just downloaded the rule book and figured it out.

starvenmarvin

Reaction
I thought that 7100 is stock production mini or midsized trucks.

OldGreen

Reaction
Yes, but it is modified stock. 7300/3100 is "stone stock". . .the only things open on the suspension are the shocks. Everything else stays stock without reinforcement. No fiberglass, etc.

7100 can run fiberglass fenders/bedsides, no bed, reinforced pivot points, uniballs and aftermarket rearends. Essentially, they go a little faster, but they are a LOT more durable. On paper.

djblakely

Reaction
Yes, but it is modified stock. 7300/3100 is "stone stock". . .the only things open on the suspension are the shocks. Everything else stays stock without reinforcement. No fiberglass, etc.

7100 can run fiberglass fenders/bedsides, no bed, reinforced pivot points, uniballs and aftermarket rearends. Essentially, they go a little faster, but they are a LOT more durable. On paper.
Jimbo,
How much less would you worry if you could plate you lower arms and run uni-balls? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, " beef up those uprights". Keep everything else the same for while. Run the same pace and not stop to replace front end parts. You just now ran the same times as a 7100/7s (on average).

Wahl_7s

Reaction
Mini truck soup anyone:D

OldGreen

Reaction
Jimbo,
How much less would you worry if you could plate you lower arms and run uni-balls? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, " beef up those uprights". Keep everything else the same for while. Run the same pace and not stop to replace front end parts. You just now ran the same times as a 7100/7s (on average).
Preachin' to the choir Mr. B. . .preacin' to the choir. Heck, just beefing up the lower arms and uprights would solve 98% of the issues we have at our current pace. In fact, if we just could beef up our passenger side upright. . .we'd be Golden!!!

djblakely

Reaction
BITD has been mixing the SUVs and trucks for a few years aint nothing new. The only thing new in this case would be mixing the pure stock classes. Look at their rule book 7100, 7200 and 8000 all say Truck/SUV in the header.

Sorry for the hijack [starvenmarvin] You ask a simple question. I was just trying to give you good advice, before you build a stone stock to run against 1 or 2 others.

starvenmarvin

Reaction
Nah man, its all good, thanks for all the advice guys. Your right though, i do like the 7100/7s better, i think it will make the car last a bit longer. I think im gonna run like a mid to early 90s ford explorer 4wd.

OldGreen

Reaction
The only issue you run into there is wheelbase, but maybe, just maybe, that is a good thing to keep your speed down to save the parts. A very seasoned and wise man once told me that stock truck racing is one of the few forms of motorsports where nearly EVERY driver is better than their race car. Maybe building in some "slow" is a good idea.

djblakely

Reaction
I though that same thing when I started my build. But it was pointed out by a Toyota racer that if you run a regular cab short bed, you're shorter than most SUVs. The Xterra is 108"WB, the Explorer is 111". Check the numbers and you see.

trent06

Mush
Reaction
Preachin' to the choir Mr. B. . .preacin' to the choir. Heck, just beefing up the lower arms and uprights would solve 98% of the issues we have at our current pace. In fact, if we just could beef up our passenger side upright. . .we'd be Golden!!!

Any possiblility RGR would be moving into the 7100 class in the future???????:D

I think it would be great for the 3100 class to be combined with the 7300.....

And Ill be the first to sign the paperwork allowing a 4100 to run against a 8100! Oh wait.......that should be in another thread.....:rolleyes:

OldGreen

Reaction
Yes, it is a possibility.