Ford Explorer Sport - Suspension & transmission

jcarius

Reaction
Folks,

OK, so I've been looking for a cheap-ish prerunner and chase vehicle, and one of my buddies just blew up teh third manual transmission in his 1994 Ford Explorer Sport. It's ne prett good shape otherwise, and I can get it for near free.

This leads to a couple of questions:

Aftermarket long travel suspension kits - anything good out there?

Is there a transmission that I can swap in without too much grief and aggrevation?

Thanks!

Jim

motoxscott

Reaction
Jim,

You get what you pay for. Depending on how much you want to invest in this project will determine what you end going with. Try and at least run coilovers in the front, and some good shocks in the rear. You can have all the travel in the world, but if its not dampened properly, it wont do you much good other than having bragging rights.

Call up Camburg, H&M, Newline, etc, and see what they can get you into for how much you want to spend.

sirhk100

Reaction
As for suspension if it's 4WD or 2WD there's still tons of options and it can be built to haul ass. It is a '94 with the I-Beam or TTB front end, right?

As for the transmission, I beat the crap outta mine and have had no problems with it. Biggest things you can do for it are:

-If it's got larger tires, get the diffs regeared to relieve the stress on the transmission.

-put in the biggest transmission cooler you can find

-put in a temp guage and watch it religously. If it starts climbing much above 200* get outta the throttle or have a beer and let it cool down.

I've got a '92 that's set up pretty nice, nothing extreme or exotic and it get's me around pretty fast through the rough. If you're in San Diego I'd be more then willing to let you check it out some time.

Khris

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart