Ford f250 Supension Upgrade?

Robin Hood

Reaction
Looking for some advice...

I have a 2016 Ford F250 long bed that I use for towing and daily driving. In the long run it will probably end up with a service bed on it but not anytime soon. It is off road occasionally but its really not its main use.

When I hook up my enclosed trailer the truck squats like a pig. After reading a few of the forum threads, I looked around on the internet but there are so many choices and such a huge range in price it is really tough to know what direction to go in.

I don't what a true lift but I mind a couple inches to level the truck out. I will probably stick with stock tires and wheels for now and maybe for ever. I do not want to comprise ride quality. I do not want to compromise tire and ball joint, etc wear and life span. My first thought was to put airbags on the back like I have always done but I have never been happy with the ride both inflated and deflated.

Is there a better way to go?

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Looking for some advice...

I have a 2016 Ford F250 long bed that I use for towing and daily driving. In the long run it will probably end up with a service bed on it but not anytime soon. It is off road occasionally but its really not its main use.

When I hook up my enclosed trailer the truck squats like a pig. After reading a few of the forum threads, I looked around on the internet but there are so many choices and such a huge range in price it is really tough to know what direction to go in.

I don't what a true lift but I mind a couple inches to level the truck out. I will probably stick with stock tires and wheels for now and maybe for ever. I do not want to comprise ride quality. I do not want to compromise tire and ball joint, etc wear and life span. My first thought was to put airbags on the back like I have always done but I have never been happy with the ride both inflated and deflated.

Is there a better way to go?
I'd go with an Air Lift brand setup with compressor and bags that is designed and built for your truck. They have bags with a built in jounce bumper so they can be run at ZERO PSI when unloaded and aired up to compensate for the typical Ford sag... They even have ones with presets and a remote so you can easily bring it up to proper pressure for your loads that you tow or haul on a regular basis.

It is odd to me that the newer Fords sag soooo bad!!! My son works part time for a guy that does concrete light pole bases and they tow a skid steer with auger attachment and such... It sags their F-250 very bad! But when I tested the Chevy Colorado Diesel truck I needed something heavy to tow so I hooked to the skid steer trailer and towed it around and the Colorado sagged less than the F-250...

Robin Hood

Reaction
The rear on my Chevy rides really harsh with airbags both loaded and empty. Also, the truck porpoises a lot with my enclosed trailer. I put Bilsteins on it to help but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Any other options that I should consider? What about changing to F350 springs?

CFreeLV

Reaction
I have an F-250 and had the same problem. When driving on the freeway with an empty bed not towing anything my teeth would rattle out and when I towed an enclosed it squatted so bad I could barely steer the thing with no weight on the front end.

I installed air bags and it fixed everything. I can adjust the air for a comfortable and safe ride or tow. My brother just put them on his Dodge Ram 3500 and feels the same way I do. Im not sure why your Chevy ever rides harsh. It was night and day in my experience.

The rear on my Chevy rides really harsh with airbags both loaded and empty. Also, the truck porpoises a lot with my enclosed trailer. I put Bilsteins on it to help but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Any other options that I should consider? What about changing to F350 springs?

Robin Hood

Reaction
I have an F-250 and had the same problem. When driving on the freeway with an empty bed not towing anything my teeth would rattle out and when I towed an enclosed it squatted so bad I could barely steer the thing with no weight on the front end.

I installed air bags and it fixed everything. I can adjust the air for a comfortable and safe ride or tow. My brother just put them on his Dodge Ram 3500 and feels the same way I do. Im not sure why your Chevy ever rides harsh. It was night and day in my experience.
So far, 3 votes for air bags...This truck rides really nice in stock form and I don't want to mess that up.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
So far, 3 votes for air bags...This truck rides really nice in stock form and I don't want to mess that up.
With a good setup you won't mess anything up. Run them between 0-5 psi when empty and up to 90 or whatever required to level when loaded with the Air Lift brand setup like I spoke about and you should be happy...

Robin Hood

Reaction
With a good setup you won't mess anything up. Run them between 0-5 psi when empty and up to 90 or whatever required to level when loaded with the Air Lift brand setup like I spoke about and you should be happy...
Thanks for your feedback!

Why do you specifically recommend the Air Lift brand? I bought Firestone bags a while back but hadn't got around to installing them. Then, I started thinking there might be a better solution. I drive the Chevy every day and it is often loaded with the air bags full. It has a very poor ride IMO, whether they are empty or full, it just seems to limit the travel to much.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Thanks for your feedback!

Why do you specifically recommend the Air Lift brand? I bought Firestone bags a while back but hadn't got around to installing them. Then, I started thinking there might be a better solution. I drive the Chevy every day and it is often loaded with the air bags full. It has a very poor ride IMO, whether they are empty or full, it just seems to limit the travel to much.
I've installed them and had good experience with the Air Lift brand kits. They are well engineered and with the internal jounce bumper can be run at 0-psi without failure... I personally think that if you run a system with compressor, gauges and presets you will use it more and have a better ride loaded or unloaded.

If you just install bags with a Schrader valve to adjust pressure, you may adjust at first for a couple times, then it will be too much of a hassle to drag the hose and compressor out of the garage and "I forgot to air them up last time... so I'll just air them up and leave them..." With a proper system with pump and controller you can adjust them as needed and lower them for a good ride unloaded and raise the pressure to reduce sag when unloaded.

I think you are probably running too much pressure in the Chevy if you are always driving with the bags "FULL". Try lowering the pressure to 5-10 psi when empty and air up to 60-70 psi when loaded then vary from their depending on how much leveling you need.

Most "towing" type air bag systems are designed for stock suspensions. There are long travel bags and brackets, but I have not done anything with them personally so I don't have experience to suggest them or not...

az_amsoil

Reaction
Another air bag vote here, I have a '14 Ram 2500 and with the rear 4-link/coils, it squatted bad and at highway speed (loaded) the rear would sway. Installed AirLift Loadlifter 5000 and fixed everything. Couldn't be happier...on a side note, I also had an issue with my bags. I have a Carli 3" lift on my truck, prior to ordering AirLift said that the stock kit would work fine with my lift, well it didn't. When the rear would go full droop, it pulled the threaded inserts out of the drivers airbag and sheared the air fitting off. I called them up and they (no questions asked) sent me out more fittings and two more bags (I purchased the AirLift spacers to make it right). Great company to deal with and fantastic customer service.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I've installed them and had good experience with the Air Lift brand kits. They are well engineered and with the internal jounce bumper can be run at 0-psi without failure... I personally think that if you run a system with compressor, gauges and presets you will use it more and have a better ride loaded or unloaded.

If you just install bags with a Schrader valve to adjust pressure, you may adjust at first for a couple times, then it will be too much of a hassle to drag the hose and compressor out of the garage and "I forgot to air them up last time... so I'll just air them up and leave them..." With a proper system with pump and controller you can adjust them as needed and lower them for a good ride unloaded and raise the pressure to reduce sag when unloaded.

I think you are probably running too much pressure in the Chevy if you are always driving with the bags "FULL". Try lowering the pressure to 5-10 psi when empty and air up to 60-70 psi when loaded then vary from their depending on how much leveling you need.

Most "towing" type air bag systems are designed for stock suspensions. There are long travel bags and brackets, but I have not done anything with them personally so I don't have experience to suggest them or not...
I do just have Schrader valves on the Chevy but I air up and down all the time. I never leave them full when I am not towing.I use a Power Tank instead of on board because it can serve so many other purposes. I agree on board would be easier but between the extra cost and added stuff on the truck, I just never really considered it.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Maybe think about a shock that you can "play with". revalve, etc. see what works for you.