• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ford OBD1 computer. Wish I had a carburetor

Josh 8

It’s a 351 but I only spin it to 4000 max. Most of the time I shift it at about 3000 or 3500 rpm. It’s not a racer. Just reliable, simple and straightforward off roader. I keep thinking about paint. But my buddies say I should keep the trashy sleeper look. Know one would want steal it.

F3AB8453-A911-4C79-B25C-3C25DF647C66.jpeg

cjohnson

It’s a 351 but I only spin it to 4000 max. Most of the time I shift it at about 3000 or 3500 rpm. It’s not a racer. Just reliable, simple and straightforward off roader. I keep thinking about paint. But my buddies say I should keep the trashy sleeper look. Know one would want steal it.
If 4K is redline then you are correct that 650 is way big. The 500 CFM spread bore Bert recommended would be the hot ticket.

Dirtracer 619

Ok back to my thread haha seems like this will be my next step. Gonna go buy a leakdown tester and go from there if all is good. Then i will buy a Holly sniper system and sell these obd1 parts
Sounds like a plan to me

cjohnson

Ok back to my thread haha seems like this will be my next step. Gonna go buy a leakdown tester and go from there if all is good. Then i will buy a Holly sniper system and sell these obd1 parts
Sounds like a plan to me
Ha ha. Yeah, Sorry for perpetuating the thread hijacking. I think your plan is on the right track.

dzrt performance

getting rid of the OEM computer is a great move but going mega squirt is trading one set of proplems for another. MS does work if you have endless hours of tinkering DIY type acivities that is really designed for enthusiast that want to get into EFI for the least amount of money.

the ECU isn't even the "big" cost anymore. do yourself a HUGE favor an spend a few bucks on a modern system. I shudder to think of you taking your vehicle out on the race course or back country with the cheapest solution you can find.

Dirtracer 619

I'm thinking of the Holly sniper system just a little worried about the ecm bolted to the throttle-body. Getting a lot of heat. But haven't head of any issues yet. It's gonna be over 2k this convert to the sniper or 3k for the terminator. So opinions anyone. My motor is only about 350hp

Dirtracer 619

Thanks, yea I suppose it would thats similar to the painless kit I have now Except new computer. Still old technology I am thinking all new would be better. For about the same cost. And I can sell my old stuff to get some cash back. At least that's what I'm hoping
Thanks for the idea

Last edited:

Dirtracer 619

So ive been looking. There is also a eldelbrock pro 4 efi system. So does anyone have any experience or opinions on this sytem compared to the sniper from holly

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Put a GM TBI on it and forget it. ;)

Dirtracer 619

I dont know of one that will fit on a small block ford 5.0. They are cool though
Unless I slip in an LS under it Haha

Last edited:

bullnerd

Put a GM TBI on it and forget it. ;)
I put one of these Howell kits on my 67 nova many moons ago! Like, 91-92, worked great. Engine was a sbc 406, twisted wedge heads when they first came out, Performer RPM cam and intake, Fiberglass hood and bumper......with 2:73 gears! Car weighed nothing and top speed was like 300mph! lol!

Had no idea Howell was still in business,

https://howellefi.com/product-category/ford/

Bert is my name

Both g.m and the early Holley t.b.i. systems run out of fuel and spark mapping at 5500 r.p.m. or so. That limits those systems to fairly mild engines. Tried a Holley system on a buggy around 2001 or so. It fell on its face. Never ran right. Cam came on way too late. Ran out of fuel before any power was made. Went back to the carb.

Josh 8

Attention all, thread jacking alert.

So I have an update for all that have been holding there breath. I switched the bronco from a 4150 to a 600 cfm Holley 4160. It went from 7 to 10 mpg. Runs better too. It was choking on all the gas the the 650 cfm 4150 was giving it. Glade I did so.