• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ford Raptor engine sound???

Cuban Mike

Okay...here we go. I love Ford Raptors, make no mistakes about that.. I have ever since they came out. There is something that I can’t stop laughing about. They sound (especially with aftermarket exhaust) like my old Buick Grand National !!! I get that they make more power than the old big heavy gas guzzling reliable normally aspirated V8’s but am I the only American that enjoys an entire aisle of cereal options at the grocery store? Was it too much to ask for Ford to offer the 5.0 coyote in the Raptor? I’m used to having some options! I guess a Platinum F150 4wd V8 with $25k in aftermarket suspension upgrades will suffice for now, especially when those 8 holes are blasting away

9rocky

I can’t believe someone wouldn’t buy a badass truck because of the sound. Lol

The Gen2 blows the Gen1 away in every way.
My wife loves the Gen 2, but hated that it sounded like a sewing machine. So, we added the Borla ATAK exhaust, and now it sounds like a angry sewing machine.

Short Bus

It hasn't been solidly confirmed, but the rumor going around is they will be offering a V8 in the Raptor in the next year or two. Specifically, a 7.0l V8. Ford has confirmed the engine and invested money to upgrade the Essex engine plant in Windsor to produce it already. It is mostly intended to replace the 6.8 V10 they are still using in some Super Duties/E-Series chassis cab/F650-750. However, the rumor is heating up that a high performance version will make its way into the Raptor. I'm sure it will fill the sound gap if it materializes.

Chris_Wilson

Back around 1994 we used to tow with big block power, 460 Fords with headers. Big dog sound.
Then the TDi PowerStroke came out, and Banks offered a kit that made 310hp/630ft-lbs.
Man I loved the sound of a big block gas engine but all was forgotten once I towed with the Banks Powerstroke.

Its kinda the same thing with the Raptor. I loved the sound of the 6.2 in my 13 Raptor but once I got behind the wheel of a Gen 2, I quickly forgot/forgave the sound. More power and better economy and better suspension and on and on. There is NOTHING (other than that V8 sound) which was better in the Gen 1 than the Gen 2 in my opinion. BTW, the Gen 2 does sound better when in Sport mode, maybe just because of the transmission mode.

Chris Tobin

I can’t believe someone wouldn’t buy a badass truck because of the sound. Lol

The Gen2 blows the Gen1 away in every way.
Ford knows the importance of sound in the buying/driving decision... That's why they pump cool engine sounds through the sound system... I'm not sure if this is done in the Raptor or not, but Ford does it in MANY of their cars!!!

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Ford knows the importance of sound in the buying/driving decision... That's why they pump cool engine sounds through the sound system... I'm not sure if this is done in the Raptor or not, but Ford does it in MANY of their cars!!!
Chevy is now doing it on 4 cyl Camaros. Also Chevy trashed Ford for the aluminum bodies and beds in those commercials that basically said "Steel good. Aluminum bad" but the rumor is they may be going the route of using composite beds in Silverados to meet fuel mileage standards. I have to laugh at their whole ad campaign.

Chris Tobin

Chevy is now doing it on 4 cyl Camaros. Also Chevy trashed Ford for the aluminum bodies and beds in those commercials that basically said "Steel good. Aluminum bad" but the rumor is they may be going the route of using composite beds in Silverados to meet fuel mileage standards. I have to laugh at their whole ad campaign.
I didn't know that Chevy was doing it in the 4cyl Camaro, but I am disappointed to hear that for sure!!!

As far as the aluminum bed, the Chevy ad is still true and accurate even for the new 2019 model GM trucks. As far as I know the Chevy is built with both steel and aluminum for weight savings WITH strength! The top line GMCs will be getting a bed with aluminum, steel and CARBON FIBER composite for the interior. The CF will be stronger than the Ford Aluminum...

Dirty Harry

They do it in the Raptor as well. As long as you have the windows up your truck sounds really cool while you are driving it!

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I always wanted a Mattel "V-RROOM!" engine* for my Schwinn Sting-Ray fifty+ years ago, but I didn't qualify for the 72 payments-long loan. ;)

VINTAGE 1963 MATTEL V-RROOM! | eBay

(read: battery eating noise-maker)

Chubs

In another 28 years(the amount of time I've had a driver's license) we will be laughing about exhast noise, there won't be ANY! Maybe no noise at all? Maybe we be extinct? Yeah, a little dark, I'd give my left knuttto to drive one! Let alone own one! Good job FOMOCO! NOBODY else is anywhere near it factorywise!

Chris_Wilson

Let's not turn this into a Ford vs. Chevy thread. It's about Raptor Lovin! BTW, a good friend brought his new Chevy ZR2 to San Felipe and it's a darn nice off road truck. Respect for the ZR2, legit stuff for showroom stock. This is a great trend, glad to see it.

Chris Tobin

Let's not turn this into a Ford vs. Chevy thread. It's about Raptor Lovin! BTW, a good friend brought his new Chevy ZR2 to San Felipe and it's a darn nice off road truck. Respect for the ZR2, legit stuff for showroom stock. This is a great trend, glad to see it.
I would love to get a ZR2 with the 2.8L Duramax diesel engine!!! I haven't driven a ZR2 yet, but I was highly impressed with a Z71 Colorado with the 2.8L diesel engine so I know I would love the ZR2 version!!!

Even though I am a Chevy guy I would love a Raptor too, but I don't think I could afford one, the ZR2 is much closer to my price range...