ford steering column

Ryan B

Reaction
hi everyone,

i am in the middle of putting a new steering box into my bronco, and decided i would replace all the steering joints as well. My problem is the upper steering joint closest to the firewall. The factory steering shaft is smooth non-splined, and has some crappy through bolt deal. I would like to pull out just the inside of the upper steering column shaft inside the cab, and replace it with a splined type shaft. The reason i don't just rip out the factory assembly is because i would like to retain the ignition switch, turn signals, and whatever else is in there that makes the truck run.

Has anyone pulled out the steering shaft from their ford steering column, and replaced it with a splined shaft?

thanks for any help

f1sleepy

Reaction
On my 01 F150. I was able to just use a DD shaft that slid into the funky factory u-joint and clamped down. (On the end going out to the box) Are you just looking to add a new steering wheel with a disconnect? If so, you can just weld the splined spud that comes with the disconnect to the factory shaft. It should slide right over with a tiny bit of slop that can easily be made up for. I'm not sure if that helps you but it might.

James

Alex Paterson

Reaction
On my 01 F150. I was able to just use a DD shaft that slid into the funky factory u-joint and clamped down. (On the end going out to the box) Are you just looking to add a new steering wheel with a disconnect? If so, you can just weld the splined spud that comes with the disconnect to the factory shaft. It should slide right over with a tiny bit of slop that can easily be made up for. I'm not sure if that helps you but it might.

James
Did you mount one on your Ford and if you did what did you do with the clock spring? Did you leave it on or remove it. I started installing my wheel last week until I ran into the clock spring and couldn't get it off and at the time I didn't know what it was. I know now but still not sure what to do with it.

-Alex

f1sleepy

Reaction
I take it back, I didn't use the factory u-joint at all, I used a Borgeson u-joint with a new shaft between it and the box. I don't know why I thought I kept the funky stock u-joint. I kept the entire stock column though. Put a new Borgeson slip shaft in and buy all new u-joints. You should be able to use a u-joint for a 3/4" DD shaft on one end that will slide right over your stock steering column shaft. This will allow you to retain all of your factory turn signal switches, ignition, etc. Starting from that u-joint and heading out to the box, use a slip shaft and a second u-joint at the box (if you can get away with just that, I don't know how many joints you require with your specific room restraints). If you can get away with two u-joints and the 36" slip shaft it will be about $250.00. Non collapsing shafts are much cheaper, but I prefer the collapsable kind for ease of installation and safety if the vehicle is not caged. Not cheap by any means, but well worth it for the quality and customer service I received from Borgeson.

Alex, yes it was on my Ford and I removed the entire clock spring assembly and then placed the plastic housing back on the shaft. I think I'm going to remove the housing again and make a trim panel up out of some ABS plastic sheet to clean up the way it looks. I used some spiral cable to wire my horn buttons up on the steering wheel and tapped in to my factory horn wires. I just made sure I had enough slack so that the steering wheel can spin lock to lock without issue and can still be removed and set on the dash without overextending the wire.

James