Formula 1

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Just finished watching the Canadian Formula 1 race and was curious how a Formula 1 car would match up with an Indy car? Are they to different to compare or could they hang with each other? Also, how would a F1 car do in a Le Mans style race? Could it hang with those cars or would it be outgunned?

See ya in the dirt!

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
I always wondered the same, which is best and where? F1 vs. Indy vs. CART
It is my understanding that F1 is the ultimate as far as formula racing???
Anyways it was a great race today. Michael Schumacher won again and Montoya's BMW motor broke.
On a slightly diff. note, does anyone in here play f1 2001 (pc) ??

victor fabian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stuck-throttle.com>www.stuck-throttle.com</A>
CARCO RACING 5-1600

martininsocal

Reaction
I think in the long run a formula car and a cart/indy car are very similiar as far as suspension dynamics, handling characteristics, etc... They would probably be very matched going around in a circle, but that is the difference. most formula cars accellerate and decellerate thousands of times through a race, most indy/cart cars do not. I also think the gear boxes in the f1 cars end up being much more durable, although many use the same parts and components in both series, but you see many more gear box failures in cart/indy(especially on the road courses). I think the edge would have to go to the f1 cars.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Crayfish

Reaction
Formula 1 cars are like F-16 fighter jets as far as technology goes, the best of the best. They weigh 1500 pounds and have somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 horsepower. They have a telemetry display on the steering wheel that shows them where they are on the course and the traction control is tied into some electronic device in synchronization with course position. So they can set the amount of braking and acceleration for every position on the track to make the car as efficient as possible.
They are absolutely amazing as far as technology goes. And I think they would kick the crap out of an Cart/Indy car.
There must be something more to an F1 car because I don't think any driver in any other form of racing makes 84 million a year like Michael Schumacher. Sucks to be him I guess.

Just my opinion though

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
"There must be something more to an F1 car because I don't think any driver in any other form of racing makes 84 million a year like Michael Schumacher."

Yeah...sponsors

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Due to the rules in there organizations F1 cars are the top of the list. IRL and cart are pretty much the same cars having come from the same place. IRL is just an offshoot of cart.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
CART cars weigh in at 1550 lbs minimum, use a chassis and motor they can't modify, and methanol supplied by one official source. (This year) they get somewhere between 800-850 hp out of 3.5 liters, turbocharged with a CART-supplied blow off valve to limit boost. F1 teams spend 10x as much, because they build their own chassis, engine, and then blend their own fuel (subject to F1 rules). They weigh around 1300 lbs, get about 650-700 hp out of 3.0 liter non-turbo motors. CART uses iron rotors, F1 carbon/carbon rotors. CART cars accelerate faster, F1 cars stop faster........ Last year at one of the F1 races a shipping company which moves their stuff from race to race ruined a Ferrari motor when they DROPPED it from a forklift..... The operator didn't even wait to see if he was fired!