fortin trans and shifter linkage help

prerunner404

Reaction
Im having issues getting my fortin wide gear 4 speed linkage adjusted correctly. I can get a 4 forward gears but cant seem to get reverse as well to save my life. Sometimes when i adjust it first gear will be in the position of where reverse should be. What am i doing wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

GEARDOC

Reaction
There are some unknown pieces to the problem you're having so I'll address the problem the best I can.
I don't know what shifter you have. I don't know what you're linkage consists of. Most of the time, it's simply worn or loose, sloppy u joints that cause the problem. There shouldn't be ANY free play anywhere along your linkage.If there is repair or replace any components that are worn.
When setting up your linkage, the shifter handle should be exactly straight up and down and side to side when the selector shaft is up against the plunger( inside the trans) in the neutral position. Any deviation from this position will limit the travel to get either the reverse rail or the 3/4 rail. Adjust accordingly. It's also possible the shifter itself may need service. Parts inside the shifter do wear or become loose over time. Like I said before, any free play will cause problems. Grab the shift shaft that comes off the shifter and see if you can wiggle it around. See any slop? Correct if needed.

GEARDOC

Reaction
Your email to me said you fixed the loose linkage problem. Is this true?

McCredie A

Reaction
I had this happen with fortin transaxle and fortin shifter. Had the shifter rebuilt and it went into reverse.

redmist

Reaction
Are you sure your shifter doesn't have a first gate lockout and that it's this that is faulty?