• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fortin vs Howe vs Tatum Steering

slvrbullet

Looking at 2.5" rack and pinions from the above 3 brands. I'm leaning towards Fortin because of their quality but wanted to hear some feedback. The things that matter most are customer service, Service cost/life, durability, value.

az_amsoil

Howe are good racks, but the cost to maintain them is just less than buying a new rack. IMO they are too expensive. You should add Power Steering Solutions to your list. :)

slvrbullet

I spoke to PSS about a year ago and they said they use the Pro Am units.I have heard they are pretty pricey and there's better options. I was kind of shocked to hear that they are not up to par with others on the market.

slvrbullet

I've heard that some teams that are meticulous on prep that Howe units are failing and that when you send them back in for a rebuild the get a box of parts back and are the cost to fix them is about the same as buying a new unit. I've had a Howe Steering box in the past and it was great, so though I favor howe I have heard really positive things about Fortin and nothing on Tatum racks.

Fourstroker

Obviously not in a race car but I have had the Tatum rack in my 4 seater since 2005. Replaced ram seals once. Been magged and regreased several times but all other parts are original. Got my moneys worth