Forward Light Rack Without Going Through Cab?

ChromolyKid

I'm not sure if I should post this here, or in electrical... But here's my question: Is there any way to mount a light rack on the front of my cab (above the windshield) without having to cut holes and mount it on the cage inside?

I've seen some that clip on over the edge of the door frame, but it doesn't look like a solid design for off-road.

I would really prefer to have the light rack up front, but if it's just not possible then mounting it in the back would be easy enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zambo

Is it a race truck or prerunner or daily driver or what? I've seen guys who welded tabs on the pillars that they could bolt the lightrack to. Of course you still have to run power out there.

ChromolyKid

It's a daily driver that spends a lot of time in the dirt. I'm just not sure about welding on the cab because it's too thin, isn't it?

movindirt

Wham Spore
Yes the cab/ sheet metal will fail if you mount directly to it. You could bolt through the top of the cab to a mount on the inside that is tied into the cage.

ChromolyKid

Yes the cab/ sheet metal will fail if you mount directly to it. You could bolt through the top of the cab to a mount on the inside that is tied into the cage.
That's a good idea, but the cage rattles and shakes independently from the cab, so anything mounted from the cage to the cab would break. Unless it could be mounted on some kind of joint that would support weight but compensate for movement?

F1shifty

ive seen people use the A pillar, building a small brush guard for your window in a way, from the top of the cab to the cowling with a 1" tube or so, up the sides and mounting to the top like that should give you a enough material to support your bar. or weld bigger plates to where your mounting your support tabs to. ive never personally tried these but its what ive seen. good luck.

scary fast hummer

Consider using a larger "A" shaped aluminium bracket that could be riveted to your cab. That would spread the load across the fairly thin sheet metal. It would be very solid if built correctly and move with the cab vice the roll cage.

Just my tu'pence worth...

Double_Down

I couldn't find the similar thread, but here is a pic from it. Hopefully the owner of the truck will chime in. Hope this helps!

Attachments

ChromolyKid

Thanks for the tips! and thanks Double_Down, that picture helped explain it. I'm just not sure that's a very sturdy design? Those light racks weigh quite a bit, don't they? My truck will be taking some hard hits in the future and I'd hate to have the rack come crashing down on my windshield :eek: But hopefully I'm wrong because that would be pretty simple.

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
I couldn't find the similar thread, but here is a pic from it. Hopefully the owner of the truck will chime in. Hope this helps!
That's a picture of my light bar on my Ford F150 i will post some pictures and show you where they ran the wires for the lights....

ChromolyKid

Does anybody have any more pictures of other mounting options? Perhaps what it looks like from the inside of the cab? I'm slowly gathering the funds to mount a light rack so more pictures would help a lot.

Thanks

ChromolyKid

mounting in the rear is alot easier and has less glare... up front looks better but the rear mount is still good.
True, but I really like the look of the lights mounted up front. If it's not too hard to do, I'd prefer it over the rear.