Fox bypass valve replacement

sickdayz

Reaction
I have 4 tube fox shox all the way around my buggy. It is set up pretty good right now. But…, it sucks though the small choppy stuff almost rips my lungs loose.

When I set it up, I plugged the bleed holes, so I could use the upper stage as a bump stop. I want to replace the short rebound tube with a gold valve, so I can get some of the choppy stuff taken car of. (That is actually why I got the 4 tube shocks)

Question one: does this sound like a good idea?
Question two: Can I remove the valve with the shock depressurized, extended and on its side without losing fluid and replace it with the gold valve without introducing air? Or, do I have to disassemble the shock?

joe1369

Reaction
Shannon, call Rich at McKenzies (714) 441-1212, he will have a solution/answer for that situation. Joe1369

tinman

That dude!
Reaction
Do it de-pressurized with the tube pointing up. Make sure you add a little oil so it bleeds all the air out when you install the new check valve assy.

sickdayz

Reaction
Well, I did it. I turned the short rebound tube into a free bleed (Gold Tube) on each of my 4 tube Fox Shox.
I released the pressure, pulled the shaft all the way out, turned the shock so the valve I was working with was on top and slightly elevated. Removed the valve, removed the spring, then drilled the valve seat and shaft so I could pin it. Now the valve is solid and I can adjust the amount of fluid that will pass through, in both directions. Creating an adjustable free bleed tube.

When I put the valve back in, I pushed the shaft in just enough to push the oil up into the bottom of the threads. Hopefully eliminating any air intrusion.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to test it before the next race, so I’ll be doing a little tuning during my pre run day.
SANY0003.JPG
SANY0004.JPG