• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fox IFP depth?

johndjmix

Hey Guys,

The one thing I have never done is rebuild shocks. Doing it right now, seems pretty straight forward....except setting the IFP depth. A few people have explained it to me but im still confused.

Im rebuilding Fox 2.0 coil overs and Fox 3.0 bypass's....

How do i figure out the depth to set the IFP at?

Where on the IFP do i measure from? The highest top point of it?

Thanks!

--John

Kmac107

Don’t bottom them out or else if you loose oil and your shock fully extend it may cause a vacuum effect pulling air into the oil around the IFP seal always measure before taking them apart but you can always measure the total cylinder length and put the piston about 1/3 of the way from the bottom so you get 1/3 oil and 2/3 nitrogen

Rocket 450

We have a little "jig" we built. Its basically a piece of all thread and some flat stock. It makes sure there all the same. Never taken the time actually figure out the measurement .But the poster above 1/3oil 2/3 nitrogen seems about right

shock pros

We have a little "jig" we built. Its basically a piece of all thread and some flat stock. It makes sure there all the same. Never taken the time actually figure out the measurement .But the poster above 1/3oil 2/3 nitrogen seems about right
Just remember that when you slide the seal head into the shock body, you displace oil and more that IFP even farther down. Now you're probably 1.5"-2" farther down the reservoir. You run the risk of reducing the Nitrogen chamber too much and creating too much pressure. Don't forget about thermal expansion. As the oil hearts up, it expands and moves that IPF even farther down. Ive seen reservoir caps blow off like a cannon because of this.

brad inch

Just remember that when you slide the seal head into the shock body, you displace oil and more that IFP even farther down. Now you're probably 1.5"-2" farther down the reservoir. You run the risk of reducing the Nitrogen chamber too much and creating too much pressure. Don't forget about thermal expansion. As the oil hearts up, it expands and moves that IPF even farther down. Ive seen reservoir caps blow off like a cannon because of this.
been there,we had one take a radiator hose out and put a dent in a 4130 tube.scared the ..... out of the guys in the car