Fox piston wear band, bronze vs nylon??

osidepunker

Reaction
8k lbs truck, 16" long travel tundra, 8" 2.5 coilovers and 2.5 bypass in front, 16" 2.5 bypasses and 3" bump in the rear.

I currently have nylon wear bands. I'm rebuilding the shocks. Do I switch to bronze?? What are the pros and cons of both??

haha and no I'm not spending $70 on the white racing one :oops:

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
You can't switch the wear band with out switching the piston too.

osidepunker

Reaction
You can't switch the wear band with out switching the piston too.
Can you explain further? I don't see options for pistons with different wear band grooves, just bleed or no bleed

osidepunker

Reaction
The bronze ones are more durable, but if your nylon ones are fine now no real need to change.
Thats kinda what I figured. My coilovers have 50k hard miles on them so I'll just replace the wear band.

After digging into this a little, some pistons have a groove for an o ring that sits behind the bronze wear band and some do not. My coilovers do not have a groove, so I have to use the nylon ones.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
The pistons that you have, use the nylon wear band. The newer style pistons use the metal/teflon wear band. The groove for the newer ones are different in size. If you tried to put the metal wear band on your piston, it just would not fit. Yes, the white wear band does cost more. It's designed to take more heat.