Fox Shock Rebuild

jcarius

Reaction
Folks,

Well, things are getting interesting here at the ranch. Steve Souza was kind enough to haul Mike Connor's (of BORE) 9 Car out to California for me, and as a result both Vanessa and I will be racing the VORRA short course.

Thanks to the the help of Tim and others, I managed to piece Vanessa's front end together so that it works reasonably well. After the short course races she's going to get proper hook stops, and if I get busy a new front beam.

SO, on to the next thing a budget 9 car owner needs to know: How do I go about rebuilding the Fox shocks on the car? I'd also like to add reserviors to the rears on the new car, and the fronts on Vanessa's (she has the old style fox emulsion shocks). What's it take tool-wise, how do I figure out how much oil to put in the shock, how crtitcal is it, do I have to bleed the oil around the pistons in the shocks/reservoirs ...

Any pointers to information or resources appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim & Vanessa

Protech975

Reaction
Jim
The shock question is a bit involved but once you have all the needed parts and tools, rebuilding your Fox shocks will not be difficult. You will need a allen wrench and a spanner wrench to take off the bearing cap, and depending on what type and size shox you have you will also need a good strong pair of snap ring pliers or tool pick to remove rod guide/bearing assembly. after the gas is let out the rod guide can be pushed dowd into the can a bit in order to get to the snap ring. after the oil,shaft and piston are removed you will need to remove guide and piston from the shaft with a 3/4 wrench or socket. then the dividing piston is removed from the shock body by blowing it out with compessed air using the shader valve. after all parts are removed you only need a new seal/O ring kit and oil. Need to check the shaft for straight and the guide and piston, D/U wear band for damage. after installing all new wiper seals and O-rings then reassemble. As far as the oil amount that all depends on what type and size shox you have and if you are using Resevoirs or not. If resevoirs are used then they have to be rebuilt as well. Reassembly is much different for the different type shox so I can not give you specifics as far as oil amounts. the air is removed via a small bleed hole in the rod guide as you reinstall it but ALL air must be removed. The front emulsion shox are easy just add 9.9 fl.oz. of oil or about 2-3/4in. from top of can and reassemble. charge with gas and then check for hydrolicing they should completly compress without stoping or going slush at the bottom. I know this may sound confusing so if anyone can add to this please do. Rob S. #975 ps.or just take your shox to a rebuild place and pay $25 or $30 a shock for service.

TimHayosh

Reaction
or just take your shox to a rebuild place and pay $25 or $30 a shock for service

www.raceshock.com
602-493-3700

I don't remember the price, but it's cheap compared to screwing them up! RaceShock does a lot of UPS business.

Happy motoring, Tim