FPV RC Heli chasing Trucks

Scottz

Reaction
Lately I've been doing alot of RC heli flights in FPV (piloted by video First Person View) and love the video game type of flying. I did this with planes and my RC trucks (E-maxx/Slash). Driving or flying RC by video can be a blast and alot like a video game but it's real. Some buds of mine said I needed to share some of my videos here so enjoy:).

[video=youtube;1lJmdx_HJjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lJmdx_HJjg[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottz

Reaction
and the Johnson Valley video I almost forgot that I just finished :D.

mfs

Reaction
nice! how are u doing that? what equipment are u using? any pics? whats the range? so it shows u how much battery u have left?

Scottz

Reaction
nice! how are u doing that? what equipment are u using? any pics? whats the range? so it shows u how much battery u have left?

FPV piloting is getting popular with RC aircraft and I purchase most of my gear from Hobbywireless.com (tell them Crash9 sent you)

Rnge is about 2 miles line of sight and can be more with long range gear;).

The Eagle Tree Systems OSD (on Screen Display) shows the info from a on-board data logger which also overlays GPS info.

More info here. www.FPVvideo.com

Scottz

Reaction
What I use for FPV piloting:

Work horse is my T-rex 600esp with a 5000 mah 6s lipo battery, Align 600xl Brushless motor, Futaba gy401 gyro to keep the tail straight, Spektrum DX7 2.4 ghz radio, AR9000 RX, Wireless video 900mhz 500mw TX, 900mhz 4 channel RX, R-vision video goggles, Sony DV camcorder for recording, and a few other things I can't think off right now.

I also use a T-rex 450, MPX Easy Star and a MPX Twinstar II:)

Attachments

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Man, you could get some pretty cool video at a desert race with one of those things!

Scottz

Reaction
Man, you could get some pretty cool video at a desert race with one of those things!
I hope to get out to a race soon with my gear. It's been fun playing in the desert chasing friends but it's not RACING:D. I've been working with a cheap HD cam that will ride along onboard but I needed to make a gimble mount for it...HD video picks up all the vibs from the heli so the new mount I made should fix it...if not the DV still looks decent:cool:. Here's a few pics of my latest set-up:).

Attachments

Scottz

Reaction
A buddy of mine who works in the music/film industry just sent me this video of some of my FPV piloting flights that he threw together:cool:.

Scottz

Reaction
Last video I posted is now re-mastered with added footage and no toyz.

Here's the finished Movie, Enjoy:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuoK_ck-B0"]YouTube - My FPV Piloting Adventures[/ame]

SICKSAND

Reaction
What kind of price range is it to get started with some decent video?I guess that would be after the learning to fly the heli?I have raced r/c for years and flew the planes a little bit but nevr a heli,I heard they are tuff to learn?

Scottz

Reaction
What kind of price range is it to get started with some decent video?I guess that would be after the learning to fly the heli?I have raced r/c for years and flew the planes a little bit but nevr a heli,I heard they are tuff to learn?
Yeah they are hard to learn but very rewarding when you get it down;). I would start with a good simulator like the Great Planes 3.5 or the newer 4.5 version. Sims can save you a lot of time and money and the GP is very realistic. There's a cockpit view also so it's easy for FPV Piloting pratice:). I spent a good 6 months learning before I got it but I also only practiced a couple of times a week. If I had a sim back then, I think I could of picked it up much faster.
Price range for the wireless gear is about $300 for the basics. Good video goggles add another 300...I like a cheap headrest monitor myself but goggles are popular among FPV Pilots. The good thing is you can use the gear on you rc car/truck also like this video I did with helis and a Slash.
Enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUfWb9jWIvg"]YouTube - Traxxas Slash Racing / RC Heli Coverage[/ame]

these Vimeo uploads are better.

http://vimeo.com/2739773

http://vimeo.com/2506980

:)

Scottz

Reaction
What about a good starter heli????
A good starter is a Co-ax heli like a Esky Lama or Blade CX. There very stable and help teach you the controls. Also a simulator is great help. Then I would move to a 450-500 size like a T-rex 450. The bigger the heli the better they fly:).

SICKSAND

Reaction
Aren't the blade cx helis like 170?I think I will try one of them first?

Scottz

Reaction
Aren't the blade cx helis like 170?I think I will try one of them first?
I think you can even find them cheaper...like $130 if you shop the net. I like the Blades CX's cause I use a Spektrum DX7 radio and it can be set up to fly the CX:).

What sort of flight time do you get out of an electric heli with all your A/V gear aboard?
I get 8 to 10 minutes and if I add a second battery I get 16-18 minutes :cool:.

SICKSAND

Reaction
Do you have a website that I could look up the fpv gear options?I don't need the pro kit but maybe a entry level?Thanks,,,