Frame Rail required to run MDR 1400 race?

SpareChangeRacng

I'm in the middle of building a play toy/semi daily driver (Thanks Rob and Jason!) and I have had a bunch of people ask if I plan on racing it. I would like to run it in MDR 1400 or 1450 once or twice just for for fun, because these are the most lenient classes (I'm running a supercharged 3.8L) plus they're cheap and pretty competative. The only thing is I am having trouble finding out if you have to have a frame to be class legal (I thought buggues etc. could run in the classes). I was under the impression that the truck just had to be street legal and have the proper safety features, but some people think I will not be legal w/o a frame. I have tried looking on MDR's site, and also searching this site but have not come up w/ the answer. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks. Steve

JCA

Call Patrica. The phone number is on their web site. To my knowledge if it is street legal and has the safty items you can run it.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

BA_DirtDriver

I asked this question also. The answer that I got was "street Legal" from Patricia. I asked "what if the tags have expired?" She didn't know - "Ask Art" she said. What Art cares about is to summarize, Cell,Seat,Belt, Cage,Helmet, and fire extinguisher. I took this all to mean that a tube frame pre-runner should go sportsman, while a prerunner built on a production chassis could run in the Pro class. Doesn't seem quite fair for a pro built all tube TT style prerunner that is "Street Legal" to go up against a Ranger/Toy with Kit type suspension add-ons. Thats my take anyways.

Bret

WFODAN

You can run the truck in either class . The only rule is it has to have a license plate . The only difference between the sportsman class and the pro class is the amount of entry fee and amount of laps they do during a race . And of course the pro class with the higher entry fee also has a payback vs. just a trophy .

Dan Vance

Clifford

No current tags or no green sticker means that you risk receiving a citation from the BLM or the CHP. Even worse, your vehicle may be impounded if not legally registered. The chances of this occurring are slim, but why take the chance. I've seen many CHP officers monitor traffic right off of Hodge Road and the course crossing.

SpeedRacer

I believe the SCORE rule book says forced induction is not allowed. In addition, I have not seen a forced induction motor at MDR. Is a super charger legal in desert racing? Turbo chargers are very popular at Glamis but I have never seen one in a desert race.

Tyson

Well if they go by their "as long as its street legal" then it would be allowed in this class. This thread brought up a question. . .

Can I have (which is now street legal according to the DMV when I renewed my tags last year) just a green sticker for 1400 or 1450? This would be awesome cause then I would not have to smog my truck which is going to be a nightmare next month. I was pretty certain that I had to have a plate and current tags but now I am not so sure.

any thoughts?

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Become a dealer and run dealer plates.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

martininsocal

Forced induction is legal in SCORE as long as the motor came that way from the factory in production classes. Like turbo diesels...

If your gonna go, go BIG

michael_loomis

the diesels are the ONLY thing legal to run forced induction as far as SCORE goes.

elcaprerunner

I always thought you needed stock framerails from the cab forward on a MDR 1400 truck? ( and obviously it has to be street legal)

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

martininsocal

Michael- I remember Corvairs with Turbos in teh sedan class. Also, Audi ran a turbo quatro in the 1000 a few years ago, and isuzu ran a turbo P'UP in 7s a ways back. As long as it comes from the factory that way, I think they allow it.

If your gonna go, go BIG

michael_loomis

martin .... i believe the P'UP was a turbo diesel ...and the Audi had a class of its own . as for the corvair turbos...well even at 26 ... i must still be too young lol !

As far as frame rails go ....im unsure , MDR usually goes by SCORES rulebook but SCORE doesnt have a prerunner class . i'd get ahold of ART or someone from MDR directly.

SpareChangeRacng

Thanks guys.
It looks like a call to Patricia and Art will be in order as I get closer to completion. I am definately going tube frame (already cut up the stock frame and started the tube one) and I am defiantely running the superchareged (came that way from the factory - on a T-Bird though) because I already have it CA BAR legal (if I hadn't gone through this HUGE PITA already I would be going 5.0 now) 3.8L. The truck will be street legal (it's still registered now) because it will have to be my daily driver for a while when it is done.
Like I said before I was under the impression that it just had to have all the safety equip (which it will) and be street legal (which it will). So hopefully I'll see you guys out there soon. BUT if there is a problem w/ the blower or tube frame I just can't race it (or maybe I'll force me to run in in MDR's class 1/TT). Steve

SuperDave

Hi Steve,

You shouldn't have a problem. As long as it's currently registered as a street legal vehicle and meet all of Art's safety equipment specs, you should be fine. Just bring it out and race it.

Rover 4

RacnCPA

THIS POST IS MADE FOR ART SAVEDRA:

Art can't seem to get on race-dezert......so go to "go-desert.com" for your answers.

Sc