frame stripper

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
no no nudes here :)
i tore my truck down to the frame and want to completely strip the old grease/grime. any suggestions? i could go pay for sand blasting but like everyone else im on a budget and $200 could go along way else where.
thanks

Andy Jones

Reaction
Try oven cleaner!
I've used it many times with great results.

-Andy

racer56

Reaction
A really good pressure washer will work miracles.

5.3Ranger

Reaction
If you decide to spend the couple hundred bucks, I'd sent it to the chemical stripper instead of blasting it. I did it to my super grimey frame & it came out like raw metal, no pits or greyness like sand blasting does. I also sent a rusty housing & it came out **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**. I used a place in Van Nuys, CA called L&M stripping. my $.02

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
thanks i will spray oven cleaner on it then tow it to the pressure washer.. best of both :)

AaronDixon

Reaction
no no nudes here :)
i tore my truck down to the frame and want to completely strip the old grease/grime. any suggestions? i could go pay for sand blasting but like everyone else im on a budget and $200 could go along way else where.
thanks
Not sure which vehicle/coating you are trying to strip.... but the waxy-tar that ford uses comes off with lacquer thinner and thats about it. I dont even know if you can even buy that stuff in Ca anymore!!!!

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
its an 87 ranger frame.. no tar stuff. just satin black paint and road gunk. i know the tar stuff.. my first truck had that (jeep comanche)

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
thats what north county powder coating quoted me... ive got about $100 in budget to strip it.. looks like im off to the pressure washer.

thanks for the offer tho.

dakineJ

Reaction
OR...I'm not sure how much paint the oven cleaner will remove, but SuperClean will deffinately remove dirt & grime,then rinse w/high pressure nozzle on garden hose. Let dry and apply liberal amount's of aerasol stripper,scrub and repeat w/high pressure nozzle.

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
its now rebar :) the truck got beat to death.. both axles were smiling. extensive frame damage from jumping/ desert. no panel was straight. motor had mud on the pistons when we tore it apart... and it still ran. drove the truck to the scrapper.. needed too much to keep together :)

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
update.. took the frame to the pressure washer.. some pretty good luck then brought it home and sprayed it with some harbor freight commercial de greaser. with a little motivation from an sos pad its down to bare steel in a heartbeat.. dont quite know what the de greaser is but it removes the crap in a heartbeat. so it will be an hour or two for the whole frame but will save me over $200. stoked

RACERX686

Reaction
I used the rag and torch method and it worked great. Quick and easy no messy chemicals just went through a coulpe of towels and old t-shirts and it didnt cost me a dime.

ChromolyKid

Reaction
I saw on Horsepower TV they tested a few different chemical strippers on a grimy old frame rail and found that the aircraft quality one works best... Forgot what it's called though...

Ocotillo Explorer

Reaction
I just finished striiping a bronco body and chassis. I used a wire wheel and a sander mostly. It doesn't take as long as you might think. I then used a sanblaster for the tiny cracks and crevices. Sanblasting is very messy and actually took me longer. If you have the money and no time, than I would just get it professionaly sandblasted or acid dipped. Good luck