FRANNY-F100, boys first build

Ljubera0250

Reaction
This is awesome! I'll have to show our son this build. He just turned 10 and he wants a 70's prerunner f100 for his first truck so we plan on buying him one in 3 years so we can build it with him so it can be ready for his 16th bday. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Getrdone

Reaction
Playing the bump, droop, cycle game! With 26” of front travel, some trimming required.

Attachments

• 7C69279A-1A1E-49CA-8DBB-F304BECE2845.jpeg
    7C69279A-1A1E-49CA-8DBB-F304BECE2845.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 317
  • B39503DE-33B9-47B9-A407-AFBD2DBD1947.jpeg
    B39503DE-33B9-47B9-A407-AFBD2DBD1947.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233

Getrdone

Reaction
Since info is king! If running A-arm long travel and McQueen glass, you will need to trim the heater boxes with a 39” tire. Currently we are set at 6” ground clearance. Cuts are safe dirty cuts. We will clean up close.

Attachments

• 72FC390C-4597-40FB-8AD1-F7CBAD95C6D2.jpeg
    72FC390C-4597-40FB-8AD1-F7CBAD95C6D2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 290

Getrdone

Reaction
Engine is in. New 2” die for the new CNC bender shipping Monday. So hopefully we will get moving. The old hydraulic JD2 bender said he’ll no to the 2” .120 moly.

Attachments

• CF419CDA-9155-43AA-A960-871D12C6A590.jpeg
    CF419CDA-9155-43AA-A960-871D12C6A590.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 267

Big Hoss

Reaction
I'm probably in the wrong sub forum but, how do you guys just go ahead with building a Prerunner. A lot of the info I seem to find just gives me the walk around answer of buying one because of my lack of skills. I'm willing to learn but it just seems a lot of this stuff is on a If You Know, You Know basis. I live in Minnesota but love these truck styles and want one of my own. I'd like to build it myself, but I don't understand on how your able to accomplish these feats. If anybody has any tips, books, posts, links, etc.... I'd appreciate the help and this build looks awesome, its exactly what I'd want. a Raptor look or the 70s styling, both amazing looks IMO.

Getrdone

Reaction
I'm probably in the wrong sub forum but, how do you guys just go ahead with building a Prerunner. A lot of the info I seem to find just gives me the walk around answer of buying one because of my lack of skills. I'm willing to learn but it just seems a lot of this stuff is on a If You Know, You Know basis. I live in Minnesota but love these truck styles and want one of my own. I'd like to build it myself, but I don't understand on how your able to accomplish these feats. If anybody has any tips, books, posts, links, etc.... I'd appreciate the help and this build looks awesome, its exactly what I'd want. a Raptor look or the 70s styling, both amazing looks IMO.
I started many years ago here when posts were flying every min. I asked lots of questions. Today, CAD skills are a must. If you plan to see pavement and have family on board, front suspension design requires a broad knowledge of how everything works. Long travel front ends require lots of engineering to be road safe. Knowing where to his ugliness etc. is paramount. The swingset steering on the Thing took about 4 months before I was comfortable with the design. Now with multiple cars on the road, it has proven a very stable and enjoyable design to drive. So in short, lots of questions and lots of research. Unfortunately, Race-Dezert is much quieter now

Getrdone

Reaction
I started many years ago here when posts were flying every min. I asked lots of questions. Today, CAD skills are a must. If you plan to see pavement and have family on board, front suspension design requires a broad knowledge of how everything works. Long travel front ends require lots of engineering to be road safe. Knowing where to his ugliness etc. is paramount. The swingset steering on the Thing took about 4 months before I was comfortable with the design. Now with multiple cars on the road, it has proven a very stable and enjoyable design to drive. So in short, lots of questions and lots of research. Unfortunately, Race-Dezert is much quieter now

Getrdone

Reaction
Ps. There are some extremely helpful and knowledgeable guys here. They answered many PM’s and were instrumental. They are still here, just not as often

Big Hoss

Reaction
I appreciate the information. From my current viewpoint it seems to be a lot of trial and error, get your hands dirty work. I'm a visual guy, kinda gotta see it and toy around to understand. I haven't picked a starter truck to start on, nor do I have a shop, welder, etc. It seems to me that ifs would be easier to build. But I don't understand how you would build the ttbs or beams. For adding material to extend the track width, the angling. But, I have time to find out. I saw some books on another post and I quote. Engineer To Win, Tune To Win, and Race Car Dynamics. I got some reading to do.

Getrdone

Reaction
I want to jump in and take over, but I am sworn to let my boy build. Very proud of his tube skills! Slow, but teaching at the same time.

Attachments

• 907991FB-1FF3-4CB9-BB2E-247F5A291FA3.jpeg
    907991FB-1FF3-4CB9-BB2E-247F5A291FA3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112