Fraud targets SCORE's site

Terrie_Tavis

Fraud targets SCORE\'s site

I am hoping that I am not repeating a previous post, but even if I am, I hope this will serve as a reminder. On the SCORE site, I advertised my class 10 car for sale, also, a type 1 motor, and a Mendeola 4 speed. An e-mail was sent to me recently regarding my car. It read :

"Greetings,
I saw your advert and i'm interested in buying your Class 10
Lothringer. I'm offering $38000. Get back to me your banking details(sort
code and a/c no)as well as bank address so that I can instruct my client
to send the funds via wire transfer to your account. Hope to read from
you soon.
Corry."

<font color="blue"> </font>

A couple of days later, I received another regarding my motor. It read

"We are interested in buying your above mentioned product at advertised rate. Goods to be picked up from your location for onward shipping to London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check for $9,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication." <font color="blue"> </font>

I read an article which talked about this common fraud tatic which has been widely used recently.

Just thought you might want to know that these people are targeting the SCORE site. <font color="blue"> </font>

FullsizeFun

Re: Fraud targets SCORE\'s site

I have had this tried with me. I was selling one of my bikes for $4500. I got a similar message saying that his client would deposit $8000 into my account and I was to wire him the balance after the bike was picked up.
I started to ask him questions on his intentions for the bike, what kind of riding he does, will he be racing it? he did not answer these questions in his next e-mail. I told him $4500 cash only upon pick up.
DONT FALL FOR THIS I failed spelling. if you are advertising used vehicles or products take cash only and talk on the phone at least once with the guy. dont just do e-mails. I buy and sell alot of used parts on RDC and SCORE. you gotta be carefull, and know what looks suspicious.

BSchlimme

Terri,
Also had this same scam tried on me from DuneBuggy.com for an engine I was selling.

Enjoyed playing with the guy to see how he was going to try and work the scam. Painted him into a corner with doing it his way but through a legit bank and never heard from him again.

I really feel badly for those that get hit with this type of crook.

Ben

Here isa copy of this guys attempt:

[ QUOTE ]

Hello,
Thanks for getting back.I am okay with $1800 if you are ready to neglect every other buyers for it because I am very serious and much in need of it.I want you to assure me of this.I am happy you are willing to sell to me.As regards the shipping I have an international shipping agent that would be on ground to do the pick up as soon as we seal this transaction.As regards the payment,I have a client of mine in the U.S.A that is supposed to wirte me a check back for a cancelled order I made with him,I would instruct him to make out a check to you for $5900,although the money is more than the value of the purchase but I want to trust you with the money,so as soon as you receive the check,kindly take the check to any check cashing store and cash it immediately and do me the favour of sending balance via Western Union Money Transfer to my shipper for immediate shipping arrangment.If my terms is acceptable to you,do furnish me with the full name of which the cheque will be sent to and the residential contact address and your phone number and get back to me immediately so that I can instruct my client to send the check to you as soon as possible.
Thanking you in anticipation and pls send pics.
Best Regards,
Joe.

[/ QUOTE ]

JONES PERFORMANCE

it doesnt matter what site or publication it is, these people are hitting any advertisments. if its on the web, its a target.

BigAaron

I would play the game, tell him to go ahead and send the payment and then just stall indefinitely while you call the authorities to catch them.

mustafa

There's a site that's dedicated to messing with these thieves. Go to www.ebolamonkeyman.com . This guy's
mission is to string these people along as long he possibly canand frustrate the hell out of them.

FullsizeFun

That is some great stuff on there. I have only started reading some of it. Next time i get a bogus offer I am going to mess with him big time!

shrek

I did this with someone on ebay that was trying to "f" me on a quad..............that was way to cheap!!

It was funny.........I kept telling him that I was going to send the money...........again and again and again............He finally gave up and I sent him a e-mail telling him where to put the quad!!!

Shrek

Terrie_Tavis

Here's another, I just received this one today. And this guy's from Ireland? I don't think so...just listen to his accent. They all seem to speak the same language. One of these guys actually wrote back after I sent him an e-mail telling him that he had to be kidding, and he said that business was all about trust!!!! Well, I responded to that one too...needless to say, I haven't heard from him since! Anyway, here it is, I won't post anymore...and I KNOW more are coming... Terrie

Goodday,
Am godwill henry,i am interested in buying your 1914cc Freshly
Rebuilt .do let me know if this is still for sale and avalible.Am a citizen
of ireland .Also do let me know if you accept Cashier check for the
payment.and if you do, don't worry about the shipping i will have a
shipping company which will take care of the shipping look forward to
hear from you as soon as possible if still forsale.I moved by your
price which you placed for sale.i hope to hear from you as soon as
possible.
Regard

</font>

Bonzen

Oh man that website is F'n great!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

SpareChangeRacng

I got my 1st one today. The guy was supposedly a student from Canada and wanted to buy a set of tires I have for sale for $200 with a $4000 check.
Damn the internet - it gives me race-dezert, but it also gives a-holes the chance to swindle morons.

BlueCoyote

Go this one the other day...

<font color="yellow"> Dear Sir/Madame,

I am writing you with trust and confidentiality, my name is EDWARD SAVIMBI the son of the formal president JONAS MALHEIRO SAVIMBI from the Republic of Angola. And I got your contact through the internet business journal) and after due consideration and after going through your profile, I became aware assured of your credibility of handling this profitable transaction. Thus, my humble decision to
solicit for your understanding and cooperation in this business that will benefit you and I.

At the mid term of the rebellion which is still on till date, my father thinking fast, decided to send my
brother and I out of the country (Angola) with a total sum of (us$25m) TWENTY FIVE million united state dollars only, sealed in a diplomatic bag meant for purchase of arms and ammunitions for the rebels and the bills were carefully defaced for security reasons.

On arrival in Lome-Togo because we are political asylum seekers, we were not allowed to operate a bank account, so with the instruction of my father I deposited the boxes in a security company, though I did not declare the content to them and unfortunately because of my fathers political influence he was assassinated.

we need your assistance by coming to Togo to open a non-residence bank account with any of the local banks though, we are still in Togo to negotiate the transfer of our money properly to the non-residence account which will enable the onward telegraphic transfer of the funds to your nominated bank account, the whole arrangement will be strictly under our supervision and the transaction will be absolute
risk-free. Also the whole transaction will take three working days from the day of your arrival.

We intend to share the money upon successful completion of the transaction as follows 25% will be
entitled to you for your assistance while 75% will be for us should this meet your utmost consideration
please give us your earliest reply through email. As I will provide you with my confidential Telephone
number as soon as I receive your response. Feel free to ask any question{s} you consider necessary.

The confidentiality in this transaction can not be over emphasized as we trust and believe that you will
oblige us the security and attention it demands.Please treat this transaction with absolute
confidentiality. You can have a look at this web site to view the dead body of my Dad on the
ground.(http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1839000/1839252.stm)

Thank you very much. please reply ONLY to my confidential mail box below so that I can read your
massage and get back to you immediately edward_savimbi@myway.com

Yours Faithfull,
Edward Savimbi
</font>

Rprice

did any one go to the link to view his "dead father"?

Fourstroker

Sounds to me after reading the article and looking at the picture that his father was a militant not the formal president of the country.

jeff

President? I can beat that. How about the most famous farmer in Zimbabwe?

---------------------------------

Dear Sir

Firstly, I want to apologize for infringing on your privacy. You may be surprised to receive this letter from me since you do not know me personally. My name is DAVID Nkono; I m 28 years old, the son of Ndlovu Nkono the most popular black farmer in Zimbabwe who was recently murdered in the land dispute in my country. I got your contact through network online hence, decided to write you.

The purpose of contacting you is to seek your most needed assistance in a business venture. Before my father's death, he took me to Johannesburg to deposit the sum of US$18.5million (Eighteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars), in a private security company as he envisaged the looming danger in Zimbabwe; this money was deposited in a box as precious stones to avoid much demurrage from the security company. This amount was meant for the purchase of new machines and chemicals for the farms and establishment of new farms in Botswana.

The land problem in Zimbabwe started when President Robert Mugabe introduced a new land Act reform wholly affecting the rich white farmers and some few black farmers which, led to the killing of a lot of people including my dear father. In fear of our lives, my family and I fled Zimbabwe and we are currently staying in the Netherlands where we sought for political asylum and we have decided to transfer my father's money to a more reliable foreign account.

Since the law of Netherlands prohibits an asylum seeker to open a bank account or to be involved in any financial transaction, as the eldest son of my late father, I have the responsibility of seeking a genuine and reliable partner, whose account this money can be transferred to without the knowledge of my Government who are bent on taking everything we have got.

I am faced with the dilemma of moving this amount of money out of South Africa for fear of going through the same experience in future; As a man taking his father s place , I am seeking for a partner who I have to entrust my future and that of my family in his hands, I must let you know that this transaction is risk free if you accept to assist me and my family.

All I want you to do for me is, helping me clear the fund from the security company s affiliate office here in the Netherlands, as I am already making arrangement for the funds to be brought to the Netherlands from South Africa. Before then, all modalities will have to be put in place; At this point, if you are willing to assist me, you can choose to have a certain percentage of the money for nominating your account for this transaction or you can go into partnership with me for a proper profitable investment of the fund in your country. If you do not prefer a partnership I am willing to give you 15% of the money, 5% would be for expenses, while the remaining 80% will be for my investment in your country. Whichever option you want, feel free to give me a call or send me an email.

I would appreciate it if we keep this whole transaction confidential and let me know if you are willing and able to assist me in this regard. Please, contact me as soon as possible.

I look forward to your cooperation and I am sure it will be nice to extend ties with you.

Yours truly,
DAVID Nkono
Tel: +31-612-146-693
E-mail: davidnkono@mail.com