• Forum membership has its advantages....

Friends of Oceano Dunes

Paige

Friends of Oceano Dunes (FoOD)are having a meeting on Feb 9th about what they can do to combat the Sierra Club push to close the beach completely - to everyone - if you are interested, here is some information on FoOD and the meeting go to www.oceanodunes.org and
learn about this action.

All of us believe in being good stewards of the land, but this action by a
small group of well-financed people and their efforts are about to stop you
from ever visiting the dunes again with a motorized vehicle. Camping and all
types of recreational events will end.

I hope all of you who feel the dunes is a special place to go and hare fun,
will help. Thank you.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

BradM

Thanks Paige.

On the Friends of Oceano Dunes website there is a contact list. I drafted a letter and sent it to everyone on the list. I have posted it below so that anyone who wants to can cut and paste and send letters off too. Anything to help people become more proactive. I would also like to encourage everyone to support the Friends of Oceano Dunes either directly or through other organizations like CORVA who support their efforts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to encourage you to support the efforts of the Friends of Oceano Dunes in their fight against the extremist agenda of the Sierra Club and to fully support their efforts to keep the beach open for motor vehicle access. You know that the Oceano Dunes Off Highway Recreation Area is more than just a place for people to play in the sand. It is a place for friends and family to gather to promote wholesome family activity. It is also a major economic stimulus to the economy of California's central coast. It offers many things that are presently in danger due to the current law suit filed by the Sierra Club.

The Oceano Dunes offer a vast variety of recreational opportunity. There is surf fishing, claming, kite flying, horseback riding, as well as the Off Highway Vehicle riding area. The Oceano Dunes are more than just a playground. They are a historical part of California's history. I have been visiting the Oceano Dunes with my family for nearly thirty years. I want my children and grand children to have that same opportunity.

The Oceano Dunes also provide a major economic source of revenue into the central coast. Visitors and tourists often drive hundreds of miles to spend a few days at the beach at Oceano. These visitors spend their money in the central coast communities. They buy food and gas. They stay in hotels and RV parks. The eat at local restaurants. They shop in local stores. They visit laundry mats and car washes. It has been estimated that the economic impact to the California central coast if the Oceano Dunes were shut down could exceed one hundred million dollars annually! That is a staggering figure but it is true.

Californians once enjoyed open access to the beach for all kinds of recreation. In the last few decades, the access has been restricted more and more each year. Now the time has come when the Siarra Club is trying to close the Oceano Dunes to all motor vehicle access. Please join me and support the Friends of Oceano Dunes and fight to keep the beach open. Do it for the recreational opportunities provided and for the continued prosperity of California's central coast. Thank you.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

TRDshaunTRD

I would like to send a letter to the city coucil of oceano, does anyone have that contact info?

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Paige

Ooh tough one - I will e-mail someone to try and get that info for you - otherwise maybe try a website for that county or one of the City's in the area.

BradM

That's a good idea. In fact, they refer to that area as the five cities. A letter to the city council for each of the five cities would be great since they all share in the revenue from tourists and visitors. I can't think of all five right now. I know for sure that Arroyo Grande, Oceano, and Pismo are among the five. Maybe Guadalupe but that's a few miles south.

If you come up with a list, let me know.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Paige

Will do. I emailed the person I've been in contact with at FoOD to see if they know where we can track down that information - as soon as I hear something I will post it here.

=-)