Front Coilover suspension on a beamed 10...

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
This might sound a pretty basic question ('cause it is), but I am finishing the front suspension on my old class 10 beamed car.

I just installed the front coilovers with a reasonable preload....the front trailing arms hit the mechanical stops well before the shocks bottom up, but should I install limiter straps one or 2 inches before the arms hit the mechanical stops?

I would imagine it is hard on the arms if every time I fly on the car I am hitting those stops that are built in the beam.

Would limiter straps 1" before full droop would be in order?

Also I rimmed my bushings on the beam, they have initially a pretty tight fit as well as the bushings on the king pings (my machinist did them)....I have to stand on the arms for them to move...I realize once I hit the road everything will get loose, Is this correct? How tight is just Too tight?

westtexasbaja

Reaction
This might sound a pretty basic question ('cause it is), but I am finishing the front suspension on my old class 10 beamed car.

I just installed the front coilovers with a reasonable preload....the front trailing arms hit the mechanical stops well before the shocks bottom up, but should I install limiter straps one or 2 inches before the arms hit the mechanical stops?

I would imagine it is hard on the arms if every time I fly on the car I am hitting those stops that are built in the beam.

Would limiter straps 1" before full droop would be in order?

Also I rimmed my bushings on the beam, they have initially a pretty tight fit as well as the bushings on the king pings (my machinist did them)....I have to stand on the arms for them to move...I realize once I hit the road everything will get loose, Is this correct? How tight is just Too tight?
Either way on the limiters. I've seen both.

You have to stand on them?! I'd say that's too tight (might effect shock tuning as well). Are you sure something's not warped? I like to have mine where they will fall on their own after raising by hand (with no shocks).

joe1369

Reaction
Either way on the limiters. I've seen both.

You have to stand on them?! I'd say that's too tight (might effect shock tuning as well). Are you sure something's not warped? I like to have mine where they will fall on their own after raising by hand (with no shocks).
You have to ream those bushing more so they move freely by hand, also drill in some zirk fittings to the beam and drill through the bushing so you can grease the whole set-up. Also if you cut the end of the beam bushing off flush to the beam, and install some aluminum spacers, that really free's up a beam front end. Without shocks you should be able to move them with one hand and a perfect set-up will drop from top to bottom on its own, without you pushing it down. Joe1369:)