Front hubs

martininsocal

Reaction
I have a question for anyone who has experience with the Auto front hubs from Ford. How reliable are they? I am picking up an '88 Bronco this week and was wondering if those are something I should ditch right away?
As I move into the suspension, who offers the best all around front spring(keep decent ride on the street with some chasing/mild prerunning, about 3" lift) for the front? Does National still offer the progressive coil for these?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

motoxscott

Reaction
Personally I dont like the auto hubs. From what I rememeber if you get stuck in 2wd and throw it in 4wd they wont lock up. The tire actually needs to turn a 1/4 turn to lock them. With manual hubs you have to get out and turn them but once you turn the dials they're locked.

More things to go wrong with auto hubs too.

I had a '92 Bronco.

-Scott

01Baja4x4

Reaction
I have the auto's on my Ranger and if there was a kit available for my truck, I would have changed them out long ago. It's a cheap mod for a lot of security. Not to mention, the auto hubs are known to fail when you really need them.

-Tim

sirhk100

Reaction
First time I went crawling out in Truckhaven with my Auto Hubs on the Exploder the passenger side one grenaded. I put on a set of Mile Marker hubs and they've been trouble free for 2 years of high speed and 4 low stuff!!!

Khris

pciscott

Reaction
Martin I do not know what kind of extreme 4X4 you are planning, but I can attests that chasing with auto hubs on a Ford truck since 97: we have had no problems. My trucks have had to be put in four wheel at least 6 times a year, and I even stuck the thing on the soft shoulder on the way to the river. The hubs locked in when they were supposed to from a complete stop and pulled me and my trailer out. I love the fact that you can push a button and be in instant 4x4 without getting dirty, or tracking mud in your truck. The only problem I did have was one would hange up a little and you would have to go reverse to get the front hub unlocked. Good luck!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Bail the auto hubs!!! mine would'nt work in reverse. The life span was shorter than the time it took me to get off my ass and replace them.

martininsocal

Reaction
Scott, thanks for the reply. The current owner of the truck says he always reverses to get them disengaged or one will hang up. They aren't expensive and the milemarkers have a lifetime warranty. I try to prerun in 2wd with all the 4wd's I have had so I would be able to get out if needed, but the current AWD jeep doesn't need to worry about it, but not having to get out to be 4wd in the snow would be nice.
I just don't want to have the thing grenade the first time I climb mile 29 out at Barstows course B. I plan on building this up for pre-running as the wife doesn't like me catching air in the Grand Cherokee!!