Front/Rear Weight Distribution

jcarius

Reaction
Folks,

As I continue to work on my fiance's class 9 car, I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb about where I want the C/G to end up in a lightweight, rear engine race buggy. Obviously there are a lot of factors involved, but as a sit here building a new spare tire rack (which is going to put a fair bit of weight _somewhere_) I'm wondering where I should use as a starting point, and what factors I should consider when making changes.

Thanks for any input!

Jim Carius

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Jim
The ideal place for all the weight is on the bottom of the car, just behind the center point. Unfortunately, not everything can go in one spot. Some have the spare on the roof, some over the transaxle or engine and some are vertical on the rear end of the chassis. Light wheels are OK on the roof. The rear end is usually not good for a rear engine car due to access and space limitations. The best place is over the transaxle if there still room for it.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

jcarius

Reaction
Well, looks like I'll put it on top of the chassis, just about centered over the torsion housing. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Jim