Fuel cell costs

singlehanded

Reaction
I am going to put a cell in my ranger, I was curios on how much this will cost total(everything). Lets say I use a Jazz around 22 gallons. And it will be installed by myself.

local

orvacian

Reaction
Call Duffco tomorrow, I was just in the shop a little while back and Dan had a 22gallon Jaz cell there for sale. He will probably give you a realy reasonable price on it! (909)305-0533 Ask for Dan

motoxscott

Reaction
Sometimes it's the little things that get overlooked. We just installed a 32 gallon Fuel Safe and spent over $300 on Earls AN fittings and hoses. Then you have to factor in a fuel pump, gauge, etc etc.

singlehanded

Reaction
So what was the total?

local

motoxscott

Reaction
Off the top of my head I think it came in around $1300-1400 in parts when you're all said and done.

It will vary though depending on what components you use and their quality.

bpthirteen

Reaction
Call Prep By Jake. They make a custom cell just for Rangers. Penhalls new prerunner has one, Jamie Campbells 7S truck has one, Seth Enslows prerunner has one, Solo motorsports just picked up a couple of them. They are just the right size to fit between the frame rails, and it will fit below the bed if you are keeping it. It comes with a custom aluminum can with a slanted bottom design. The phone number is (949) 366-8402. They can tell you how much it will cost.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Actually Craig (Crayfish on this board) makes those for Jake, (and other companies I guess now too) at his roto molding company in Santa Ana. I talked to him a while back, when he 1st put them out and he said he thought they were gonna run about $700 for the cell. It might have gone down now that they are in production but I am not sure. BTW, he also makes them for the full size broncos! Steve

singlehanded

Reaction
So if I pick up a cell,bladder,filler neck for 250$ and fittings 300$ and use stock pump guages and sending unit(a friend told me that you can make them work) it will only run me around 600$ anything I am leaving out. I might be starting the rear cage project fri. Thanks for advice or any other opinions.

local

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Is your stock fuel pump inside your stock tank or is it along the frame somewhere? I would recomend buying a new pump, sending unit, and aftermarket gauge. I've seen it done also with the stock stuff but it is much cleaner if you replace them and easier to plumb it and wire it all.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
If you go with "FUEL SAFE", get ready to pay. Just the inner bladder for mine was $900. Not to mention the expiditing fee ($100) due to the fact that I needed it quicker than the 6 week turn around. They are the best in the business as far as "approved" cells for most sanctioning bodies in every form of motorsports. But you pay for the best!

orvacian

Reaction
Mine was about $180 for the 22gal Jaz cell, $30 for fittings and hoses, $80 for the fuel level sender, $75 for a GOOD fuel filter (VERY important with a foam filled cell) , $125 for a fuel pump.
The Fuel Safe will cost several hundred dollars more and has about the same life span and costs a lot more to rebuild. Probably not worth it unless you are racing the truck.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kartek.com/fuel/jaz/jaz.htm>http://www.kartek.com/fuel/jaz/jaz.htm</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 09/04/02 11:02 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Snmiedo

Reaction
We have a brand new pre-runner / race cell on route via freight truck as we speak (or type). It is manufactured by Fuel Safe exclusively for Racer X Motorsports. It is 41.5 gallons yet has a nice semi-steep cut for a departure angle on the bottom of the tank which makes it doubly useful with regards to ground clearance and makes those last few gallons in the bottom of the tank attainable. It is FIA and SCORE legal with a 5 year warranty, includes an aluminum TIG welded .080 can, Enduro bladder, 1" vent, 2 1/4" or 3" remote filler neck, pickup and return fittings for carbureted and injected applications, fuel gauge sender option, and fits between the frame rails of ALL trucks and costs $895 ready to install.
We will also have special packages available for filler, vent, and hose assemblies as well as fuel pump, regulator, and plumbing options, and to simplify matters, stainless steel t-bar straps will be available as well as a comprehensive contingency program.
Currently, Race Ready Products, H&M Motorsports, Baja Shop, Baja Racing Products, Weld-Tec Designs, Perry's Fab & Fiber and B&R Buggies are taking orders. We will have tanks at the upcoming Sand Sports Supershow and Off-Road Expo shows along with product literature and web information soon.
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at racerxms@adelphia.net or call us at 619-691-5385.

Thanks!
Michael Cohen
Racer X Motorsports

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
"$75 for a GOOD fuel filter (VERY important with a foam filled cell)"

I have only seen the foam break down on the cheaper cell's ( JAZ, RCI )
I have a fuel safe that is 6 YR's. old and the foam looks great. ATI also uses good foam.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Actually I lost a race due to (FUEL SAFE) fuel cell foam clogging my Mallory fuel filter and running my car out of gas. Plus one little fiber of that foam getting through the system and into a carb is a friggen nightmare! (The worst part of that was Judy Smith printing my delima in the Dusty Times. Oh well. live and learn.)
Usually letting the fuel cell sit "dry" will cause the foam to dry out and deteriorate. When they sit, it's a good idea to leave gas in the cell so they don't dry out.

orvacian

Reaction
Partybarge, you remember that when you are sitting in the middle of the desert with a bad fuel pump and/or clogged fuel injection system.