Fuel Cell - it's NEVER coming out? Problem???

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
So it's too late to do anything about this "situation" - been building a class 5 for about two years now and we tried to balance the car as much as possible and work with what we had.

Bottom line is that the fuel cell ended up right above the tunnel, right behind the seats. The way the car is designed, it's NON REMOVEABLE. In fact, it would take a day or two of work to CUT the tubes out to remove the fuel cell!

I'm new to this stuff guys, I know this isn't an ideal setup by any means.

Just looking for some feedback... and hopefully someone with lots of experience to tell me "it's okay".... or "hey dipstick, did you think about (blank)"

Thanks...
T

Reaction
How will you replace the bladder then? Or is the car a throwaway? I'd suggest a portable Sawzall.

fathead

Reaction
getting it out should be quick, getting it back in sounds like it will take a while.
(Sawzall, plasma, torch etc!!)

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Do the rules for Class 5 allow you to cut through the pan? If so, cut a hole in the pan and drop it out the bottom. We had a similar situation with our truck when we bought it from someone else.

diondion1

Reaction
go out and enjoy your work have fun there is no way you will not want to change something down the road due to failure or you just want to try something different adres the problem at that point your car will always be a work in progress i dout if there is anyone out there with out a list of things to due next the car is never done due to new ideas products ect this is what makes this such a great hobby so go out beat the hell out of it and enjoy youself i have as much pleasure in fixing problems on the car as i due driving it this is the real challenge so dont worry now you will be pulling it apart soon enough

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Wheezy, first things first... you need to change your frame of mind. If asked, you simply say it was all part of your master plan and it was "designed" with that in mind.;):D:D The only difference between a "home" shop and a big name shop doing the same thing..... the big name shop will say they are doing R&D on new design concepts.

I'd say go enjoy the car. Your list of "re-do" stuff will only get longer. What looks and sounds good in the "shop" sometimes isn't as user-friendly out on the road. Like the post above, they are "works in progress". When the time comes, lop off a few tubes and throw in some of those schnazzy tube clamps and your good to go. Otherwise, cut out the offending tubing and re-do it... hopefully making it removable the second time. After all, it is only steel and there are tools to make it comply.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
Guys, I have no intentions of redoing it... EVER, unless I absolutely have to!

You are right, getting it out would be easy compared to putting it back in again after "cutting" it out. We could have made it SLIGHTLY more "removable friendly" but we would have sacrificed somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the car, AND the design. This is probably it's weakest point, which in the grand scheme of things isn't THAT big of a deal. I didn't think about removing the bladder at all, or why I would ever need to do so. I don't plan on doing that anytime soon either though. I CAN remove the fill tube and get the foam out so I can replace the foam with no issues!

Reaction
I didn't think about removing the bladder at all, or why I would ever need to do so.

I believe the manufacturers advise bladder replacement every five years so you have about 36 months to figure it out, although I've seen FuelSafe bladders last nine years before they spew and ruin your weekend.

glamisrnr

Reaction
Just an idea cut the tube and put these in the ends of the tube

There are a slew of companies that makes these.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
I know... I'll post pics and you'll see what I'm talkin about, even with those it's non removable the way dude tied the tubes in (gussets). I didn't know about the bladder replacement or I would have done it right before the install!

DANG... it's about that old actually!!!!!!!!!!!

Tipracer

Reaction
depending on the cell, you might be able to remove the bolts holding the cell together to remove the bladder for replacement, but without pics it is hard to imagine your difficulty...hope it works out

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Fuel cell foam does break down. And it can be a major PITA to deal with, I believe Fuel Safe recommends replacing the foam every 2 years. As long as you can get in to the cell and replace stuff you should be ok.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
Ya, the bladder is NOT coming out without major cutting and re-welding.

On the foam issue, the biggest problem is the flapper valve inside the fill neck.

If you pull yours apart you'll see what I mean. I pulled mine apart and took the bolt, and flipped it over so the head of the bolt is on the INSIDE. This keeps it from contacting any foam inside.

I DO think I can get the fill neck off and pull all the foam out ONE piece at a time. Didn't really look that hard today when I was there.

I took a pic... give me a few to see if I can manage to get it off my phone and onto the computer.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Dont wait till its too late though! I had the foam break down in my Jaz cell and I had to replace the cell, pump, filter and the line's all the way to the regulator. Cost over $1000, when I pulled the line coming off the pump the fuel was an oily black, it destroyed everything.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
It's fine right now for sure. I had drained the tank through the last hose in the system going to the carb and my fuel was crystal green! I LOVE that VP stuff!!!! I have an inline little filter before the pumps and a HUGE canister style filter before the carb.

Anyhow, here is a pic of the nightmare that is my "seat belt bar" - my fab guy just got ahead of me on this. We talked about it and he just kind of did his thing while I wasn't there. I'm not too sure about it because it's REALLY not removable without at least a full day of work. And at least another day or two to put it back in. NOT the end of the world, but it could have been made easier. One thing is for sure, it's the strongest seat belt bar in existence (at least that I know of). The reason this is like this is because of the "dual D ring" rule. Fab guy wanted to be 100% sure his work would not FAIL. So I give him credit for keeping my number one requirement at the top of his list on every aspect of this build... SAFETY over performance or anything else for that matter. We have been redoing seat mounts for three days now for safety reasons.

Live and learn... we have a BLAST workin on this thing so it's no big deal at the end of the week! Can't wait to race. Sorry I didn't take more pics, this is from my cell phone. I'll get nice high res flash photos tomorrow! Camera is already by the door so I don't forget (again).