Fuel cell lines

desertspeed

Reaction
I looked through all of the past threads but I couldn't find the answer to these questions. I just installed a 32 gallon Jaz in my 86' 4-Runner (it has a 3.0 inline 6 Supra motor, about 210 hp, EFI). I am using a Bosch inline fuel pump that I know will handle both the PSI and the volume I need, and the stock filter. My first question is, what are the correct size fuel lines to run? The stock metal lines were small (I would guess around 1/4"). I am planning on running -6 connectors and a 3/8" main line and 1/4" return line. Does anyone know if these will be sufficient, or should I run larger/smaller lines?

Second question- For an EFI engine, what is the best location on the cell for the return line. I have seen people use the filler neck, but I have also heard it is best to use a bulkhead fitting and run a line to the bottom of the cell to keep up the pressure. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead...

ntsqd

Reaction
The sizes you're thinking of using will support far more than 210 HP. At about the 450-500 HP level you'd need to think about going bigger. You could probably run a 5/16" supply line, but sometimes the fittings are a pain to get.

What I did for a return line was use an AN bulkhead union thru the cell wall (plastic in this case). I drilled four .15" holes thru the fitting near the long end and put a pipe plug in the very end. This forced the fuel to fan out as it returned to the tank. If it is allowed to shoot straight in to the cell it can create air bubbles in the fuel. Since this particular car will eventually have ~600-800 HP worth of NO2 I did not want to chance it leaning out because of an air bubble. Instant catastrophic failure there........

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
What in the hell are you building that's got that much Nitrous. (and can I go for a ride?)

Bryan_D

Reaction
Thats not that bad as far as the NO2. Some of my buddies run the NMCA and PSCA street car drags and with a pro-street car they are pushing over 1000hp worth of nitrous with a company called 10,000RPM nitrous systems. They are the best by far that we have found, much better than NOSystems and NX. Big bottle means big money and even bigger speeds. Gotta love it.

ntsqd

Reaction
It's a Trophy Truck......yea, yea, that's what it is........ ;)

Seriously, it's sort of a Pro-Mod Drag Racer. The system he has for the car claims to be good for 1200 HP with both stages @ 100% pulse width. The driver figures He's only good for 600-800 HP worth of NO2 on top of the est. 1200-ish engine HP so it's being jetted down to that range. He's an engine builder and we've already dyno'd a Pontiac headed slightly milder version of the combo that made something like 1146 HP on gasoline with two carbs.
Sorry, there's only one seat.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
PSCA cars a fun to watch. We used to squeeze our cars until we started leaving rods on the starting line. It's just too darn hard on parts. I guess if you can afford it? I used to have more fun with the clutch turbo (mexican Lenco) launching at 9800rpm and dangling the front wheels (for the fans..lol) then first stage, then second stage and have the rears break lose at the 1000 ft mark....in a 56 chevy...I love it

Bryan_D

Reaction
My buddies name is Gary Knight, his dad is a part of Knight Trucking and he owns a printing company so they have deep pockets. Gary has a guy by the name of Landon Jordans old car. The car ran a 7.90 with an all aluminum small block but he kept breaking so he went to an all aluminum big block that isnt spun as hard and now hes running like 7.80s with alot longer life to the motors on a small tire. They also have 2-1963 carbonfiber bodied vettes, one for outlaw street and one for pro-street. LIfe sucks for them. I mean when you put a 632ci motor in a street race car, really they ran it on the street, in a 65 chevelle, with a hidden cage and insightful paint, and a grand in NO2 you are having fun. It was even freeway friendly from the 3.08 gears so it would hook. Man I miss the street races!!!!! Now we gotta go to Vegas and Compton to get some good races.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
No kidding, The races in compton are a little hairy. You could pay your house off with one bet (if you win) Them guys up there are crazy! Some of those cars launch so hard, they pivot off the back bumber and the rears go up in the air...lol nothing like watching a primered vega wagon go low 7's/high 8's at 160 (on the street)

Bryan_D

Reaction
Ya we had a team with a small tire pro-street lenco camero come down to phoenix and we had 20 grand on the race. The guy backed out when he got here though. The car is sweet. We got in Car Craft around a year ago from some of our races. We race on a pretty much unused highway on sunday afternoons. They got a shot of one of the cars pulling a shoot at the finish, that was funny to see their faces when we needed that much. Funny to see the other passenger cars faces when they get stopped for a burnout and race on a highway. The group was called Arizona Outlaw Streetcars. Much fun and much speed. We got a PSCA shootout in November some time at a track called Speedworld there are some quick cars usually. Last year Billy Glidden and some other big boys showed up its fun.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
I've heard of the Arizona club. A few have shown up to the outlaw bracket races here at carlsbad raceway a couple times a few years back i believe.