Fuel Cell location?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I am wondering what is the best location for the fuel cell? i was thinking either right behind the cab or right in front of my two spares but behind the shocks. i plan on running 62 inch springs with 16" bypass shocks. also i was thinking about a 32 gallon cell. thats gonna be pretty damnheavy i think though so i might go to like a 20 or 22 gallon cell i think? really idont know though.

thanks,
Gregg

havahockey

Flipper
Here is a picture where my brother and I mounted mine. Its a 32 Gallon Fuel Safe. With 62" don't worry about having too much weight back there, the more the better.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

ntsqd

32 gallons is only about 215-220 pounds.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

havahockey

Flipper
Right now the only cage inside is the back hoop that the bedcage ties into, and then goes down to the frame. We'll be working on finishing up the cage hopefully within the next few months.

hbprnstr

right on, when you get it in post pics because I would like to see how you run the two down bars in front next to the a-pilars. I plan on doing a cage in my truck one day and it seams to be pretty basic except for that section.

havahockey

Flipper
Ya you're right, that seems to be the only problem in it. Here is a picture of a tacoma with a full cage.

DPpatrol

This is just my thoery and i would appreciate it if people who know better would comment on it. Since the fuel tank has a varible wieght (gets lighter as you burn fuel) wouldn't it make sense to mount it as close to the trucks CG as possible, hence right behind the cab. I realize people might feel it helps the weight distribution more to put it at the back to even out the wieght, but it seems that much varible weight at a polar end of the vehicle would have drastic effects on handling as the fuel tank emptys, and yet many race trucks do this.

havahockey

Flipper
When we mounted my fuel cell we contiplated either mounting it behind the cab or where it is now behind the axle. We decided to mount it behind the axle because of room issues with the shocks and drive shaft at full bottom. I've offroaded it with the cell back there for a while now and I don't notice a huge change in handling, minor if anything. I just make sure I have a full tank when I hit the desert, and on a weekend of offroading, and a 32 gallon cell the tank never gets below half.

pciscott

Your truck is like a teedder todder with way to much weight up front, you need the weight behind the rear axles to help balance this out. The law of polar motion means if the weight is at the far end it will help stabalize the ride. Spare tires, fuel cell, batteries, or anything else that is heavy should go as far back as possible to help balance the truck. IMHO

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

drtdevil93

correct. which is why some trucks have gone to having the rear shocks all the way in the back with a cantilever connecting them. you need that weight behind the axle.

erik

ntsqd

The high brow words are that moving weight back increases the Polar Moment of Interia. Exact opposite of what we are always trying to do in road racing because we want the car turn quickly and we don't have to worry about rocks that are trying to turn the car off course. And if rock are trying to turn the car, it's time to fire the driver.....
You can probably increase the Polar Moment too much somehow. I've yet to see it happen and I can think of one buggy that should have an extremely high Polar Moment. It seems to work very well.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.