Fuel Cell storage

BugRacer

Reaction
Is it better to store your fuel cell empty or with fuel in it? Which is better for the foam? <font color="yellow"> </font color>

hoeker

Reaction
the life expectancy of fuel cell foam varies depending on the manufacturer, a friend just found out the hard way that jaz foam only lasts about a year, i called fuel safe and they said theirs will easily last 5 years. this would suggest that for long term storage you would want to drain the tank and pull all the foam, personally i doubt this would help as the fuel residue will stay on the foam for a long time. fuel safe also told me that biggest threat to their bladders is water, so make sure you keep it high and dry.

race fuels are damaged most by UV rays and air, so if you're concerned about the fuel it is probably best to fill the cell and cap the vent and pickup.

hope this helps

www.rosshoek.com

BugRacer

Reaction
I like the idea about filling it up and sealing up the vent and fill. What do other racers do between races? FIll or not to fill? <font color="yellow"> </font color>

desertracer

Reaction
We usually try to pump out the remaining fuel in the cell to keep it empty and to figure out mileage stuff. Not sure if this is the right thing to do but again it is only empty for a few weeks at a time.