Fuel cell under seats?

standfast

Reaction
I am curious if anyone is running a cell under the seats and maybe even further forward with a false floor. Especially useful on a buggy to try to balance weight and get a lower COG. If you were to run a 6" deep cell with a false floor all the way forward under the pedals you should be able to fit quite a bit of fuel I would think.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
I am curious if anyone is running a cell under the seats and maybe even further forward with a false floor. Especially useful on a buggy to try to balance weight and get a lower COG. If you were to run a 6" deep cell with a false floor all the way forward under the pedals you should be able to fit quite a bit of fuel I would think.
That just doesnt sound like a good idea. The goal is good, but seems like your just asking for trouble in an accident.

standfast

Reaction
Is it really any safer to just have it all right behind your seats though? If you have a well braced floor under the car it seems like it would be have better proection

puravida

Reaction
My 10 car was designed with the fuel cell to go below our seats and we like how the car acts with a full load and almost empty load. Car also tends not push with a full load. 4.5" high, 42" wide, 45" long, the back bumps up to 8". The sides are angled so fuel collects in the middle near empty. We have a custom pickup box inside of the cell.

D-rek

Reaction
My four seater has a 35 gal custom pyramid cell through the center of the car between the right and left seats. The weight balance is 40/60 where most buggies are 30/70

FABRICATOR

Reaction
In the days of old many class 1's ran a fuel cell on each side of the car, outside of the main chassis. Protection comprised a couple of vertical loops with a couple of longitudinal tubes, fibergalss side pods, and often side nerf bars. They worked very well and I don't recall any big calamities from their use.

I think an under seat cell can be okay but you have to be very careful with every imaginable design aspect. It only takes one thing to cause a fire, or allow a negative reaction to a fire. I would use a high quality cell and related components, not just a blingly aluminum box with pretty welds.

E&S Racing

F.A.I.T.H.
Reaction
The Jefferies Racing Avenger Class 1 car as well as the Jefferies Racing Hybrid TT runs the fuel cell under and behind the seats.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I would go as far as saying 80% of newer Class 1 cars and Class 10 cars run the cell under the seats.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
The Jefferies Racing Avenger Class 1 car as well as the Jefferies Racing Hybrid TT runs the fuel cell under and behind the seats.
X2 it really helps to balance out the vehicle... i think this is where a lot of newer vehicles will start to go..

i talked with damen about this and he said that the fuel down low really help the car react better cornering and through holes since the car had its fuel wieght spread out across the bottom of the vehicle!

sweet design in my opinion.... id go for it if i were u.... thought about doin that in my car if i were 2 build a new cell...

Wendell #527

Reaction
side shot
Putting the fuel cell below the seats doesn't lower your center of gravity unless the driver and codriver are lightweights. In my case, my seat is bolted to the chassis so there is no room under the seat for a cell. If we raised the seat 6" to make room for fuel, we'd move 500 lbs of human up that 6", plus the weight of the seats and also you're raising the top loop of the chassis up 6" so your head will clear it. So I'd raise 600# 6" higher so I could keep 20 gallons of fuel, or 140# of fuel lower. It would end up being a higher center of gravity, not lower. Same on all the new cars being made that way now. On trucks, the seat is already that high anyway, so the cell under the seat is perfect. In buggies they are better behind the seat, though. I still like your car, though, Puravida. It looks really fast and I'm sure it is. I'm just pointing something out, that's all.