• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fuel Cell vent routing

spalind

Can I have some critique on this routing? I believe I will need a longer vent line as doesn't it need to go the way it is going but come back down below the fuel cell for where it terminates?

45367167_10155582132327651_6767849168267378688_o[1].jpg
45367167_10155582132327651_6767849168267378688_o[1].jpg

y2kbaja

And the vent should go higher than the highest part of the filler (it does now but it doesn’t look like a filler neck is installed yet)

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

Chubs

Is that in the back of the Nissan? I thought fuel cells weren’t required so long as you were using a stock gas tank in the stock position?

Dirtracer 619

I think your vent line is to small. May have trouble filling fast Will think its full but it wont be imo.
If your not racing no biggie

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

spalind

Is that in the back of the Nissan? I thought fuel cells weren’t required so long as you were using a stock gas tank in the stock position?
In rally, yes, the stock is fine...I'm modifying my truck to be both rally and desert compliant

spalind

I think your vent line is to small. May have trouble filling fast Will think its full but it wont be imo.
If your not racing no biggie

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
The line with the filter on the end, yes? Is it possible to connect a larger line to that fitting?

85yota

The entire vent line is too small. 3/8 or even 1/2" line won't take a dump can or even a gas station pump at full speed. I modified my fill plate to accept a 1" ID hose. Now I can fill as fast as I can.

spalind

The entire vent line is too small. 3/8 or even 1/2" line won't take a dump can or even a gas station pump at full speed. I modified my fill plate to accept a 1" ID hose. Now I can fill as fast as I can.
How on earth do you have a 1" hose attached to a little fill plate? Photo?

Zambo

Ya put a bigger fitting in the fill plate. Now if you're just gonna fill it with a fuel nozzle from a pump, all you need is a gap around the filler neck and the small vent will be fine for compensating for fuel usage when driving. But you need a big diameter vent if you're going to fill it with a quick dump can. Heck, even a street car has a 5/8" or so vent line that goes back to the filler neck.

I always imagine that the fuel cell has four sides and a top and a bottom. The vent line should extend past each one of these six sides at some point so no matter which way the truck lands, there is a part of the vent line that is higher than the cell. Probably not likely that your truck ends up standing vertically after a roll but generally its not that hard to route the line in this manner.

jon coleman

3/4 min, one loop around & down aimed away from any thing sparking or hot, lights , brakes,exhaust, then i attach a ph2 oil filter , louver about3 1/4" slots on filter can, facing down , that way it vents pretty good even after a mud bath.that little k& n plugs up quick in the dirt, that issue has befuddled many a racer...race on