• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fuel Cells

PatrickG

I will soon be putting a fuel cell in my Toyota. I have a few questions regarding the installation and basic fuel cell questions. I have the 22re
1. Is it difficult to hook a fuel cell up to a fuel injected truck.
2. can I use my stock sender and fuel pump
3. Is there any special tricks needed for it to work with the fuel injection.
4. Do fuel cells do well for everyday driving and how well does the foam inside last.
Thanks
Patrick

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Let me add one more question to that bunch.
5. Is there any restrictions running fuel cells due to smog laws?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
They are not California Smog Legal. I got my Smog Check today and I asked about them...no dice on fuel cells in Cali.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

JCA

Kritter, did they tell you what rules the fuel cell fails to meet? My understanding is that you still have to have the filler neck restrictions but other than that a tank is a tank is a tank.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.andrewsracing.com>www.andrewsracing.com</A>

rdc

jimmy8. think about it. you say arizona is great, think about it . every county is on smog alert but yours , how can you say that. I know in flagstaff we get checked.So maybe check with your local d.m.v. . That is your best bet,Dont listen to this ruckis.

rdc

Right on jimmy8 AZ rocks. It is not smog legal because of the venting set up. it is not supposed to vent into the atmosphere

fix it yourself. dont rely on daddy

JCA

Thanks Mike. A follow up question then. Any way you can plum it like the stock tanks. All you are going for is the square tank with foam and a bladder and more space where the stock tank is removed?

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.andrewsracing.com>www.andrewsracing.com</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by JCA on 10/23/01 09:21 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

hey george, here in az only the bigger cities like phoenix,tucson,& flagg get checked.Little places like parker dont even get considered.Maybe if there was more than 15 people they might worry bout it

rdc

If the fuel cell was pefectly sealed like factory emmission system & there was no leaks.has to be ale to hold vacuum to pass the test

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
The Smog Man does not care about anything other than it being stock. IF ANY fuel delivery or exhaust system is modified HE has the ability to say no go. I think it blows big arse, but what can you do?

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

rdc

Don't forget though, most 'Smog men' can magically make a truck pass- for a price. One time a guy said he'd pass my brothers Toyota if he painted the hull of his boat.

Jimmy8

Come on now. You know you love to come here. If it was that bad people like Robby G, Parneli Jones, and many others wouldnt have houses here. Oh yeah, I think Paul Tracy has a house here as well, not to mention The Offspring. It may be small, but on the weekends the population goes up 20 times because you people in so cal love it so much. I wouldnt live anywhere else.

ntsqd

If the smog man doesn't know it's there, and the truck matches the configuration in his book, then there isn't anything he can say about it. Which means that the cool quick fill filler neck is out. You'll have to plumb all of the hoses currently going to the stock tank to the cell, and not have any other openings. A friend of mine was one of the Referees. His experience with smog guys is that few of them have more than a couple brain cells. Sad. So do not give them any reason for confusion or a chance to play god as some have the doctor complex.
Merkur's all had frame rail mounted pumps and filters. They're under the car directly under the driver side rear passenger seat. The SVO guy @ SEMA one year told me it will support the fuel demand of a hot rodded 5.0, I think an RE would give it no problems.
As to AZ being great, it is. If you think it'll stay that way you're sadly mistaken. Learn from us over here on this side of the river so when the time comes you're ready. And it will come.
Sorry if I'm a little pissy this morning, another post was not a good way to start the day. :(

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

tkr

In CA, if its not stock, and it doesn't have a CARB # they're not supposed to pass it. Some times the referres will let you slide. You many want to talk to your local one first.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

rdc

Hey mike41. I thought there was 16 people in parker. Anyway I have to get all my business cars checked,even in the small towns where I heve DEL TACOS. Maybe I can open a resturant in parker since I wont have to pay for smog checks.

There is already a Del Taco there...Try a wendy's or tommy burger! They need that. Their DQ is great.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jimmy8

Well maybe due to this post I will get some of our old race T-shirts reprinted. On the front of it it says "Just like the Big Boys in LA..... ONLY BETTER!" I think its about time the shirts make a return.

Make sure you put something on them about all the crystal freaks and lazy people out there...J/K It's paradise out there during the week on the water!!! I wish I had a place there.

BRAAAAAAAAP!