Fuel flow meter question

Wild bill

Has anyone tried a fuel flow meter like used in an airplane to monitor fuel usage? Since I do not have a fuel gauge, I am looking at a meter that you input your fuel volume and as you burn off fuel, it tells you your remaining fuel. I know several pilots that use this type of meter and they all say it is accurate to .25 gallon. Any input?

Wild bill

thanks partybarge. I fixed the bowl vents like you said. I got to thinking about this flow meter. The only way I could use it with any accuracy is to top the fuel cell off, pump the fuel out, and see how much fuel the meter reads. My concern is the 87 gallon fuel cell may have only 83 usable gallons or so.

partybarge_pilot

More than likely, we started getting nervous at 35 gallons on a 44 cell. It's really nice as your mileage can vary greatly depending on the terrain.

Tipracer

I know that lowrance makes a nmea 2000 compatible fuel flow meter with the correct specs for what we would need, the question is however will it work with the baja 540c's??? sweetdevil?

Tipracer

N/S!!! we have had incredible luck with ours as well, but the fuel question is always there

ATS 89 Yota

I take it something like this wouldn't be usable on a fuel injected engine with a closed loop fuel system?

zukIzzy

I take it something like this wouldn't be usable on a fuel injected engine with a closed loop fuel system?

there already is an acurate flow meter in an EFI. A good tuner can extrapolate the info and make it show on a simple LCD display. almost every car I own now has this feature.

Wayne

ATS 89 Yota

there already is an acurate flow meter in an EFI. A good tuner can extrapolate the info and make it show on a simple LCD display. almost every car I own now has this feature.

Wayne
Really? I'm interested in this...

Do you have any more information?

zukIzzy

Really? I'm interested in this...

Do you have any more information?
I don't know where to tell you to go to get it done but the computer knows very accuratly how much fuel it has told the injectors to feed into the engine. Most of the modern computers have the ability to store that and send it to a display. The trick is to be able to get the CANBUS signal to comunicate with a display. You will have to find a guy that can do that for you. try starting with custom tunners and go from there.

The older analog systems are probably not going to be able to store and send info.

wayne

Tipracer

There are very few tuners that can do this...alot of the time it takes a huge amount of r & d to figure these sytems out....there are ways to use the lowrance's NMEA buss to extrapolate this info from the big Yamaha(I think) outboard engines...to make it work for us would be a programers nightmare...that would be IF lowrance would unlock the programing...There are stock EFI systems that have displays that tell you this info but I dont know if this would work for us...The AIM type dashes.data loggers have the ability to take input signals from different sensors and make the information usable....but none of them work just right...
If even possible, the best way to make it work would be to have a flow meter type sensor that could get information to a GPS that can then use fuel rate divided by ground speed(whatever it is it need to be gallons per hour per mile) multiplied by (tank size minus fuel consumed) to give you range left in tank...
The easiest way would be a fuel gauge and the ol' human computer

Last edited:

Chris_Wilson

Info from my dad:

Measuring fuel flow

Very brief summary of fuel flow devices for cars and planes.
All present gal/hr instantaneous, total gal used, total gal remaining
etc. Gal or liters.
All have detailed calibration requirements, either at day one or each
time you add to the tank.
All use a 2"+ round or square gauge.

If you do not need return flow i.e. carbs
** Flight Data Systems. Turbine flow meter expensive and
little merit over the following:
** Northstar F210. from Boatersland Turbine flow meter
Great bargain, but uses push on hose not AN fittings. I have this one
on my plane as do many other happy plane guys.

For efi with a return fuel line
** CruzPro FU60BRND. From Downwind Marine in SD. A gauge that
allows great accuracy with the stock tank sender. It just measures
the calibrated gauge accurately. Great bargain. I will install in my
Bronco with a weird tank shape.

Several companies sell dual flow meter setups for a lot more money.
Matronics, sells a black box to subtract the two flow meter readings
to get accurate fuel used. It is set up for the aerospace quality
flow meters which adds much more to the cost.

Regards, Paul W

Tipracer

Thats what I am talking about...cruising the web site I found the Lowrance LMF-200($180), that is exactly what I was thinking

...it talks to the GPS and give ALL kinds of data... bummer is it needs the fuel flow sensor to work...does anyone know if it is compatible with the 540c
quick description from their website--
Capable of displaying the following NMEA 2000 data: paddlewheel speed, GPS speed, tachometer, battery voltage, alternator voltage, engine temperature, water pressure, engine oil pressure, fuel pressure, boost pressure, transmission oil pressure, atmospheric pressure, temperature, depth, engine loads, engine hours, fuel flow, fuel economy, fuel remaining, fuel used, fuel range, trip fuel used, seasonal fuel used, engine synchronizer, fluid level, GPS position, trim tab position, engine trim position, and engine alarms and warnings
Capable of showing data in the following page formats: single digital, dual digital, single analog, trim tab, engine diagnostics, engine trim, and engine synchronizer

I realize this thread was about 5 years ago, but I'm curious if anyone tried any of solutions listed with the NMEA 2000 link to lowrance gps's?
Looking at installing a fuel flow meter that will display data on the HDS 10 Gen 2. At the moment we are carbureted so no return line, but that will likely change, so having a meter that can adapt in a return line would be ideal.

PDANK Racing

Has anyone tried to use the flow meter as a way to shutoff an electric fuel pump? I had been thinking about this a while ago as a way to protect against a ruptured fuel line.