FUEL INJECTION OR CARBURETOR

JOSH

Reaction
I Have My Truck down to frame rails cab and motor. And the first thing I said when I got it all apart was " that's allot of Fu#$%& wires, so I though...what if I just rip out all the factory stuff, rewire the essentials and go with a carb instead of fuel injection, allot less wires, not as many things to go wrong. is there any reason I should stay with fuel injection?

the truck is a 96' GMC Sonoma with a 4.3L 262 ci 90 degree V6, and will not have to be smog legal or anything like that

any ideas/suggestions would help out allot

Thanks

Josh

tkr

Reaction
The 4.3L will run great with a carb. The advantages to fuel injection are slightly better performance...even more so with an aftermarket fuel management system...and stable fuel delivery when going over bumps. When a carb is jarred enough, the floats will bounce allowing too much fuel to enter the bowl, overflowing and dumping too much fuel into the engine. There are some ways to lessen it, but I don't think it can be completely cured.
Keep in mind if you have an automatic transmission, you'll have to change that too if you get rid of the computer.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Ryno

Reaction
Josh-

Keep in mind...if you get rid of the computer..you're 02 sensor is gone, along with alot of other important stuff. I say this because the 02 sensor pretty much tunes your motor. It tells the fuel injection whether it's running rich or lean, and also can keep some headaches out of tuning. The vortec injection isn't the best in the world, but it works well, and you can get some serious power (400hp), just by keep the stock intake, getting bigger injectors, and doing some porting on the intake to match a nice set of heads.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

JOSH

Reaction
The advantages of EFI are very obvious, and I would like to keep some type of injection, however I don't want to keep my stock computer (ODB 2) because it does allot more than just run the fuel injection. Is there a after market computer the just runs fuel injection for a 4.3L, I know you can get whole setups from Holly and Edlebrock (sp) but most of those systems are for small block v 8's

So is there and problem with me getting a aftermarket EFI computer, ripping all my stock electronics out and just leave the sensors that I need for my new unit (MAS, O2) and do you guys know of anyone who makes EFI computers that would work with my truck??

Thanks allot

Josh

tkr

Reaction
Holley, Accel, I think Edelbrock and I'm sure others make kits for the 4.3L. We were looking into building a V6 last year, and I talked to Holley about their system. It sounded really good. Their kit comes with its own sensors, so you wouldn't need yours.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Ryno

Reaction
Haltech, Holley, Speed Pro, Accel, Edelbrock...to name what I can think of...I'm sure you're aware that a 4.3 is a 350 without the front two cylinders. bore and stroke are the same. I think a stand-alone kit is about 1k, but comes with everything complete, and then you can run whatever transmission you want. the 4.3 bolt pattern is the same as any smallblock, so pretty much anything will bolt up to it. I've built a couple of them, they are great motors, and will have alot of torque and hp, but they guzzle gas just like it's big cousins. We ran big valve heads on ours, and we were getting 300hp to the wheels. Talk to Crower for a nice cam, since you got the roller from the factory.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

DPpatrol

Reaction
I have no personal experiance with them, but i have heard excellant things about the Speed Pro (now called F.A.S.T.) ecu. When I get the money it is the ecu I will probably run on my turbo 22r. One of the best features of this ecu is it utilizes a wide-band O2 sensor, which unlike a normal O2 sensor gives you the exact air/fuel ratio. Normal O2 sensors, even 4 wire O2 sensor (the extra wires just allow currnet to heat the sensor) work like a 2 way switch, they are either on rich or lean and do not provide an actual ratio. Wideband sensors will give you an actual ratio like 12:1 or 14.7:1, which as you can imagine makes tuning very easy. I have also heard good things about the Australian made ecu called Links. However they are quite new in the states, so there are not as many people here who are experianced with tuning it as the FAST ecu, which is the main reason I would consider the FAST over the Links. However I did talk to a guy at the Wild Wash 250 who runs the Links in his 1 car and loves it. Keep in mind though I personally have no 1st hand experiance with any of these products, but alI the info I stated was given to me by people who do have 1st hand experiance.

jason