• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fuel Pressure

Tyson

Hello all. First off this is my first post so tell me if I miss something. I guess I should start with the problem I'm having - I installed a 32 gallon Jaz fuel cell into my '94 (fuel injected 22RE) Toyota. I then installed a hyper tech pump followed soon after by a mallory pressure regulator (adjustable), since I needed 38PSI as I was told by a tech support at D.O.A. racing engines. Now my truck is getting way to much gas, I'm fouling my plugs, Ive tried adjusting the regulator less than 38PSI and more than 38PSI (I still have the stock vaccum regulator hooked up) But I can't seem to keep my truck running properly.

Oh I had to put a regulator on due to the fact that the pump was putting out like 110 PSI and the stock regulator could not or would not regulate that much gas. (When we tried that it spewed gas out of the lines, but I had a tiny return hose hooked up) I've since put a larger return hose on.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oh one more thing - I read the old posts on fuel cells and saw that most were concerned about getting it passed smog, well I went to a smog station and as long as you have the charcoal canister (breather) hooked up, a stock filler neck (with check valve) that it was ok. You would just have to have someone sign off on the visual of you ride.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops.

DPpatrol

Did you have the fuel cell hidden under your bed or was it right there in the open?

jason

Tyson

No, I no longer have a bed on my truck (just bedsides). So it was in plain site, all you see from the rear is a huge fuel cell, bed cage, and shocks. The only thing that he said to me was I really need to put a bumper on so that I don't get a ticket, all in all he was really cool.

DPpatrol

very cool. Were'd you get it smogged at? I'm putting a 22r-te in my 90 yota and it will need to be smogged soon. Technicaly the smog guy could give me problems cause the motor is older than the chassis.

jason

ntsqd

He will give you problems unless he's bribable. You can't regress on engine vintage. You can put a newer engine in an old car/truck (it's called a 'swap' and it can be a can of worms but it is legal to do), but you can not put an older engine in a newer car/truck. You can also install the RE EFI on a carbed model. That's an 'upgrade' and doesn't have quite as many worms in the can. Either an upgrade or a swap requires a visit with the referee to get a BAR label so that normal smog inspection stations can smog the vehicle.

Assuming the 22RE was running OK b4 the fuel cell went in, I'd suspect that overpressuing the stock regulator might have damaged it beyond use. See if you can find one to swap in just to check.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Tyson

ntsqd: Is there anyway to test the stock pressure regulator? I suppose that will be my weekend project - finding a stock regulator and swapping it into my truck. Thanks for that info I didn't even think that you could damage those things.

gary

LC engineering knows their toyota stuff too. they helped me with my cell /fuel pump problems. check 'em out on the net, and then give them a call. i believe they're in the links page on this site.
how'd the rear springs work out? are they on yet?

Tyson

Hey Gary,
cool I'll try LC tomorrow. And yes the leafs are in. We cut the old front hangers off and re mounted them about 2" forward. then put the shackle in but it was a bit too stiff so I pulled some leafs out (reason for me not being at the Sandblast - I was up til 3 am trying to fix the leafs) but I mounted the rear through the frame (about an inch or two farther then the stock location). Right now it sits too high in the rear still so I'm gonna mount the shackle a little closer to where it was stock and above the frame. Maybe I'll cruise by when I finally get it running and the leafs dialed in.

ntsqd

I'm sure there is, but I haven't a clue as to how. Some (all ?) injector fuel rails have a fitting where a pressure gauge can be tapped in. I suppose with an FSM and a gauge you could determine if it's toast or not. W/o those it might just be easier to find one to try.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Tyson

Hey all,
I'm not sure if I am way off here but a neighbor gave me a fuel pump from a nissan Z car (his own parts car). So I took off the Hyper tech pump, and the Mallory regulator - changed the plugs and fired it up, and it RAN!!! But then about 10 miles later the truck feels like it is running out of gas (and it is full) so I need HELP!! I did some research and the Z pump puts out almost exactly the same PSI as my truck needs so I don't know why or what is going on.

So thats where I am at right now - got any ideas post em, I'm about 2 seconds away from asking the dog :)

vwguy

just a thought but i wonder if you damaged the injectors and yes a motor does start easier with new plugs over fouled plugs

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Tyson

O K
whole new set of problems.
went to test it - and it stopped running. After trying to restart it for a while I tried to fix it. Here's what I found: All the fuses were ok (can't tell you how many times I've tore something all apart to trouble shoot and it ended up being a fuse) pump seemed to be working, (on the road did not have any real tools) but I did have a leatherman (possibly the worlds best tool) and I took off the return line hose expecting to get showered in gasoline - and nothing, nothing came out at all. SO I fired up the fuel pump - and again nothing so I blew through it and it wasn't clogged.

duh nuh nuh . . .SO I had to get towed home. HEY HEY it happens to the best of us.

Oh and the dog had no idea :) j/k

pciscott

Ive had the same problem in the past. What I found was the suction was to much for the pickups in the cell. With a return line system there is constant suck on the fuel lines and they get soft submersed in fuel. When they colapse it seams like you are running out of gas, but turn the car off let it sit for a few minutes and it starts right up again. On my Protruck we had dual pickups so I would just have to switch pumps every few minutes. Alot of other teams have had the same problem with fuel pickup problems. What I suggest is to up the size of the lines in the fuel cell to dash 8 and try to find the stiffest hose you can find so it will not colapse. Also less bends is better. Some of the fuel injected Trophy truck teams even have hard lines in there cell because of this same problem. What we did in my Protruck was get rid of the return line and put a stock holley regulater, we also upped the fuel lines inside the cell to #8s. With this setup there is not continuouse suck on the pickup lines so they will not colapse. The problem is with fuel injection I'm pretty sure you need a return line. Good luck with your problem I know how frustrating this problem is, it plagued my Protruck most of this year before we got it resolved. One last thing the blue Dayco fuel lines that come stock on a new fuelsafe cell are very soft and I would suggest anyone ordering a new cell, order it with dash 8 pickups. You can then use a reducer so you can run dash 6 lines in the rest of the truck. The larger lines are less apt to colapse. Hope this helped.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Tyson

Well I got it running again. though I may have really solved something this time. I discovered a rip in the vaccum hose for the stock regulator, so I replaced it. Also the pump was not grounded correctly . . .oops. But Scott I will look into the #8 lines do you or does anyone know what grade lines are in a 32 gallon JAZ cell? I've decided to leave the truck be for the evening since I don't currently have a garage and it is damn freezing/raining in Long Beach. (Next month I'll have a nice fat garage where I can stay up all night and work on this truck.)

Tyson

OKAY,
The truck runs. . .YEAH! ! ! However it is still running sluggishly. I believe it is running rich (I think this because the new plugs I put in are all black) now, my question: I have a crane cams Hi6 ignition box in my garage and I was curious if this will equal out the fact that I am getting too much gas? Does this ign. box actually give you a better spark? And would it be wise for me to do this? What I was thinking I would do is install this box, put in some NEW spark plugs, and fire it up - so what do you think?

Oh, on a side note do any of you guys that have a fuel cell and fuel injected motors have problems with filling up your gas tanks? What is/was your cure for this problem?

gary

jaz cells should come with a -8 pickup line inside them...mine did, anyway, and they all seem to in their catalog. it's pretty stiff, almost plasticy, and mine came with the bat wing thingie to keep it in the bottom. make sure the pickup line is down in the corner, where it belongs. i thought mine was when i first put it all together, and was having all kinds of pick up problems. last thing i looked at was the pickup hose, and it had somehow managed to get caught in the foam, about 4 inches off the bottom, just sucking the top of the fuel off the 1/4 full tank. do you have an inline filter, and is it going the right way, and working properly, and all that???? i dunno, just throwing out ideas here.

John Bitting

Administrator
I have heard from a lot of people that when Jazz cells are first installed you will go through a couple of fuel filters with peices of foam and debris that is left inside the cell. Just something else to check.

Tyson

HELP:
Does anybody know about the mass air sensors on a '94 Toyota pick up. I need to know if ther are supposed to be 2 springs (1 for opening the air gate, and the other to pull it back) I believe THIS is where my problem lies, Im working on it right now so if you have any info, put it here or email me please: [email protected]

Tyson

WELL, I think I got it licked. I ended up putting a return spring in anyways (I only had the one for opening the air gate) that way there is pressure to return the air gate to normal. I found that for some reason mine was not working properly, it would be fine to start it up then after giving it some gas and letting it go back to idle the air gate would be left wide open, so I put a spring (out of a bic pen, only spring small enough to fit) seems to work great now - but I guess we'll see after a few days, and yes I plan on putting on a real spring prolly in a week or 2 (I want to make sure that this is the fix and not just a bandaid). Oh, and John I did replace the O.E. filter and put 2 (1 before the pump, and 1 in the stock location) and I've already changed them both. I guess you'd have to expect to change filters with anything new, huh? So now I can get back to dialing in my suspension :)

Thanks for all the advice from everyone, It sure has been a great help to trouble shoot with someone else (you know who you are :)

PatrickG

On trucks with fuel injection is there a ideal spot to put the return line fitting in the fuel cell. I have a 22 gal Jaz and I looked on their site and Fuel safe and both only had the pickup and check valve shown.
Patrick