fuel pumps that dont suck

BCG7

RDC Crypto
I have ran that pump for 2 years and finally had a problem. I sent it to aeromotive and they rebuilt it and said there was a pick up problem so I checked it out and they were right. the pick up hose was to small and was twisted like a pretzel. They were very helpful and sent me this tech bulletin. I know its long but very helpfull

Aeromotive, Inc. Technical Bulletin #101
Date: 5/14/2009
Re: Fuel Filtration: Selecting the correct filter to prevent lean-out and pump failure.
STOP!! If you are selling or installing a fuel filter on the inlet of an Aeromotive fuel pump,
be certain you do not use a filter that causes more problems than it solves. For pump inlet
filtration, use only Aeromotive 100-micron P/N #12304, #12302 or an acceptable equivalent
(see specifications below). Do not install the Aeromotive P/N #12301 or 12310 filter with 10-
micron fabric element on the inlet of any Aeromotive fuel pump, they are however perfect for
use on the outlet of the pump, and this is the only location for which they are recommended.
You may run any brand of filter you choose on your car, just be certain that it meets the following
requirements: The filter element used on the inlet side of any Aeromotive fuel pump may be no finer
than 100-micron (no number smaller than 100), with a surface area of 60 square inches or more.

Any filter element not meeting these criteria may fail to flow the full volume of the pump, resulting in
both vehicle drivability and pump reliability problems. Aeromotive fuel pumps are engineered to be
efficient, and can create both high outlet pressure and high inlet vacuum. The boiling temperature of
any liquid varies with pressure. For example, the engine’ cooling system is purposely designed to
pressurize the coolant in order to raise the boiling point. So how does this apply to fuel delivery?
When a fuel pump has to pull through a restriction to get fuel from the tank a vacuum develops which
lowers the fuel’s boiling temperature, cavitating the fuel and turning it from liquid into vapor. Bottom
line: Inlet restrictions create vacuum, which causes cavitation, which in turn causes vapor-lock and
fuel pump damage. Of course, drivability problems and even engine damage can result! Lesson:
Don’t combine high flow, efficient fuel pumps with poor flowing inlet filters. Don’t use fuel lines
smaller than the pump ports. Don’t use fuel tank pick-ups or tank outlets smaller than the line.
What about a fine filter? They are also necessary, but must be installed on the outlet side of your
Aeromotive fuel pump, never on the inlet. Options include the Aeromotive 10-micron (replaceable
element) fabric filter assemblies P/N #12301 and P/N #12310, and the new, high-flow 40-micron
(cleanable element) stainless steel filter assembly P/N #12335. Given the alcohol content found in
today’s pump gas, it is now necessary to frequently monitor and service any downstream fuel filters in
use. Because they cannot be cleaned, keep a spare 10-micron element on hand for immediate service
to eliminate engine fuel starvation and drivability problems when they become heavy clogged.

All Aeromotive pumps except the Pro Series EFI pump may use the Aeromotive filter #12304
with –10 inlet and outlet fittings and 100-micron stainless steel element. The Pro Series EFI
pump #11102 requires filter #12302 with larger stainless steel element and –12 inlet and outlet
fittings. The #12302 is also recommended for the #11104 EFI Eliminator pump and our new
#11105 belt drive pump (try 400gph or 2700lb/hr of fuel delivery at 100psi!!). Though Genuine
Aeromotive Filters may be somewhat more expensive than the off-brand options, you simply
must “compare apples to apples”. They say “a picture is worth a thousand words…”
Above are various versions of “100-micron” fuel filters/elements. Note: the top element is the
Aeromotive 100-micron element P/N #12604, as found the fuel filter assembly P/N #12304. Note the
various filters all have “billet” housing, with AN connections, and can be disassembled for inspection
and cleaning. Also, note that all are sold and recommended as appropriate pre-filters.
Of course, it’s obvious by this comparison image that there’s more to a filter than the micron rating, a
billet housing or even AN Connections. It should be equally clear that surface area, the amount of
filter material available for fuel flow, is not at all related to micron rating, but a major key to a filters
flow capacity. All these filters may be fine, well made assemblies, and perhaps they are suitable for
use with various fuel pumps on various engines; However, excepting the very top element which is
there for comparison, none of the above belong in any system featuring an Aeromotive fuel
pump and certainly not any car, boat, truck, etc. that features an engine worthy of such a pump.

07FJRog

RDC Crypto
very interesting tech bulletin.

thx

curt

RDC Crypto
Website
www.hayosmotorsports.com
We also had a problem with that pump but again it was a filter problem, not a pump problem. Thanks for the bulletin, lately we've had some bobbling and I think it might still be restricted as the inlet lines are not -10's all the way to the bottom of the tank. we used the Earls filters the first time and had horrible problems, it wasn't the micron rating, it was the surface area they were way too small.

F.A.S.T.clothing

RDC Crypto
aye, after reading this I am not looking forward to plumbing my fuel cell this month.... I have a ford 4.0 ohv auto right now, end of year going to a 302/ls1.... it has a jaz 32 gal jeepseed style, what is going to be my best route to go (pump, filter or filters, fittings)?

standfast

RDC Crypto
I just run cheap walbro's. For the price you can put 2 in and have one as a back up pump. These are Walbro pumps labeled as "jegs". http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Inline-Fuel-Pumps/1167179/10002/-1

They have a 255 lph and a 185 lph. 185lph are good for most natrually aspirated 4cyl and 6cyl. 255lph for the V8's. I have run these pumps for years in lots of different vehicles without a failure.

I had that same aeromotive pump fail on 2 different cars. Replaced both of them with walbros and they are going strong. That pump is way overkill for most NA motors anyway.

I have goodluck with pierburg pumps as well but mine just had barbs and couldn't adapt AN fittings like you can with the walbros. Bosch has a good pump too.