• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fuel safe top plate loose

punchdrunk monkey

I noticed my fuel safe top plate is loose, it feels like only one corner is holding it down. I can smell gas while standing next to the car. I'm not sure if it is from the top plate or vent line. I have never taken one of these apart. Is there anything I should look for or watch out for. I am going to do some research on the Fuel Safe website too.

I also wouldn't mind adding a sender unit. Has anyone added one to an existing fuel cell?

Attachments

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
And how old is the cell itself? It's no fun when it times out in the dez ...:(

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I think it's time for a new bladder. IIRC, race spec calls for replacement at 7 years.

It sure ruins a weekend when the bladder ruptures, even if it's just a little leak.

Fuel Cell Parts

Last edited:

Mark Newhan

The fill plate consists of the top plate that is visible, a cork gasket, the bladder wall, another cork gasket and a nut plate. The cork gaskets shrink over time. I would take the fill plate off, at minimum inspect the bladder and replace the cork gaskets.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
And might as well R&R the fuel pickup while you're in there.

43mod

Might want to do a test on some different fuel hose in a jar first to see which one stands up to the fuel the best. Ethanol is damned hard on some hoses. also don't just install a hose on a push on fitting. use a clamp to prevent fuel from getting in between the layers of fabric in the hose. Get new gaskets the old ones will be shrunken . Last cut some 1/4 x 4 or 5 bolt heads off and use the shank to pull the bottom plate up while lowering the top plate to help get it all aligned and bolted together. Zip tie the bolts to your fuel cell somewhere so in the field you will have them for repairs if needed.

Dirtracer 619

Hey to jump in on the fuel cell leak i am in the middle of my inspection of my cell and when i pulled the bladder i found two things.
A piece of cardboard. And rust, So what is the right way to reinstall the bladder with a spacer of some sort. Like the cardboard
I was thinking of a sheet of aluminum. Or nothing

Came new from mfg with cardboard in between the bladder and the outer skin. So is this right??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

jon coleman

Hey to jump in on the fuel cell leak i am in the middle of my inspection of my cell and when i pulled the bladder i found two things.
A piece of cardboard. And rust, So what is the right way to reinstall the bladder with a spacer of some sort. Like the cardboard
I was thinking of a sheet of aluminum. Or nothing

Came new from mfg with cardboard in between the bladder and the outer skin. So is this right??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
i used silt barrier, that black stuff for french drains .also dont muscle f--k the bunch of fill plate screws.just tight enough to not leake.no lock tight.i use a little rtv on screw cork install dry

burninfuel

use a nut driver to keep the tork minimal.
Also mark the orientation of each, bolts and nut don't always go together, start one wrong and by the time you get to the end, you cant get the last bolt to line up.
yes sender is easy, just get the vertical no movement type.
And clean out the crud inside the bladder and see if foam is bad, like above, ethanol is bad