• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fuel spill mat

misterktm

Been looking for a spill mat to conform to the BITD fueling rule. I've seen some nice mats that other teams have - but lost the info on them. I've looked on summit, Off road warehouse, kartek etc....don't see anything. Anyone have any suggestions ?

landshark

So to be clear - in the BITD rule book it says: "Mandatory at all pits, some form of approved fuel containment mat under the vehicle when fueling."

is there another document on what the approved fuel containment mats need to consist of? I saw a variety of ground coverings at last years race and most were not dedicated fuel mats similar to the link posted above. ie. can a water proof tarp be used as long as it can contain the fuel if it falls?

misterktm

Purely my opinion...you're going to have to make a pretty elegant set up with a tarp for it to be accepted. We've been using a mat I bought at home depot - just a basic entry door mat. It's got containment sides though, it's for catching snow and mud and such. Only about 2' x 3'. We finally got called out on it at Parker though. I was in the truck, so I don't have a whole lot of info on what was said about it and what wasn't sufficient...other than 'it'. We've been using it for the last couple seasons is the funny thing...but my theory there is we'd been running 1700 class... by the time we pit, everyone is gone - we never had anyone come review our procedures or equipment. And we were usually running in the front of the 1700 pack ! Now in the 4700 truck - we're in the middle of the overall action and right off the bat we got reviewed and hands slapped for several things. The mat being one of them. We didn't have to pit at Laughlin - so naturally I put off getting this taken care of until now, lol.

Thanks for the Link Fesco. The desert pit mat looks pretty good. I'm kicking around a couple other options as well.

www.backyarddiscovery.com/products/spill-catcher-floor-mat is one of them that I'm looking at. It's 4' x 8' seems like it should suffice - thoughts ?

VMatz is the other one I'm looking at (vzenvironmental.com) . I'm guessing they are going to be the most expensive, I've requested pricing from them, haven't heard back. This one appears to be very similar to the desert mat.

landshark

"We've been using it for the last couple seasons is the funny thing...but my theory there is we'd been running 1700 class... by the time we pit, everyone is gone - we never had anyone come review our procedures or equipment. And we were usually running in the front of the 1700 pack ! "

This is what i have been wondering. We plan on running sportsman at SS300 and V2R and will most definitely be near the end of the pack - Although i want to make sure we comply with BLM and BITD rules I want to balance costs and needs as well as there are a bunch of things we will now need to run those two races in the US rather than Mexico. Thanks for the links!

jon coleman

harbour frieght moving blankets, those blue moving& storage are good, wet them on the edges& the wind sorta leaves them be, and practice fueling, make sure your set up works, not bragging( yes you are...) but mine didnt spill a drop, IF done by a team member that knew the procedure.race on!

dan200

#BSF200
We have 'em at SDHQ. Made by HOSTYLE. They are tough. Any of the sales people at the counter can help you. (480)633-2929

If you don't wanna pay for shipping I can bring it to Silverstate and you can pick it up at tech. Just tell them "Dan200 said he'd bring it to the race".

FWIW I sell out of these at every BITD race I go to. I encourage those who want them to pre order.

hostyle 1.jpg
hostyle2.jpg

dan200

#BSF200
"We've been using it for the last couple seasons is the funny thing...but my theory there is we'd been running 1700 class... by the time we pit, everyone is gone - we never had anyone come review our procedures or equipment. And we were usually running in the front of the 1700 pack ! "

This is what i have been wondering. We plan on running sportsman at SS300 and V2R and will most definitely be near the end of the pack - Although i want to make sure we comply with BLM and BITD rules I want to balance costs and needs as well as there are a bunch of things we will now need to run those two races in the US rather than Mexico. Thanks for the links!
So at Parker I was our pit captain at main and we were running way out front in our class. In fact we were doing so well that BITD officials just decided to stop by as our truck was coming in for a stop to let us know how impressed they were with our speeds so far.

"You guys are doing great."

"Thanks. Its a team effort but I probably deserve all the credit."

"Well we're BITD officials and were excited to watch you guys do your pit stop"

(I am overcome with panic. They are all holding clipboards and have pens in their hands. Our Truck is 3 minutes out. Its got a cooling issue and I KNOW were gonna spill some fluids dealing with this and now I have the pit cops here. This is a big stop too. Rears, full fuel, driver and co driver change, field fix a body/aero issue and there is also the cooling problem we need to asses. In a world where wins are determined by seconds any mistake/spill/not enough fire extinguishers etc here can result in a penalty and that could mean we lose and that loss would be on me. My pit, my job, my responsibility. So I make sure my crew is well aware that we are being watched and by who.)

I'm nervous AF and start telling the BITD guy "Hey, ya see that motor home over there?" as I am pointing to one a few hundred feet away.

"Yea, I see it."

"There's a guy over there who was looking for you. He said it was really important that he talk to you right away."

"Oh yea? What did he wanna talk to us about? Did he say"

"He said he wanted to make sure you guys were anywhere besides here when our truck comes in" (wink)

It took him a minute to get the joke and I continued with my anxiety attack.

Our pit was far from fast but it was not a standard gas and go. Thankfully we did every thing by the book and received no penalties. The truck crapped the bed later though and we won ourselves a DNF.

racing is stupid LOL

Last edited:

misterktm

Thanks for the reply Dan. I don't see a raised lip around the edges, does this meet that requirement and I'm just not seeing it ?

dan200

#BSF200
IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

This is the “fuel deck”. It’s about 46 in. by 46 in. And comes with a bag. The raised edge is like 4 inches tall and there’s padding in it to keep it standing up. Made with the same durable materials as the pit deck. It’s tough.

The fuel deck is $165 and the pit deck is $460 and measures at 10 ft by 20 ft.

Both are in stock and I sell out of both pretty fast.

dan200

#BSF200
The fuel deck can serve double duty. You can store dumpcans on it because they aren’t supposed to touch the ground ever and you can toss it under wherever you are fueling at to catch any spills. We use both in our pits and they are ideal. Also, if it matters the manufacture is cool. He races (currently in 6100). Instead of giving your money to some giant corporation it is going to our friend Dan Roth who has been a long time supporter of our sport.

misterktm

Perfect, thanks Dan. I'll do some measuring and see what/how many I need. You sure you're going to be at SS contingency ? I don't know what the situation there will be. If so, picking them up there would be ideal for me.

dan200

#BSF200
Perfect, thanks Dan. I'll do some measuring and see what/how many I need. You sure you're going to be at SS contingency ? I don't know what the situation there will be. If so, picking them up there would be ideal for me.
Yep, it’s the next thing on my schedule.

BITD hasn’t said what the social distancing rules might be be but whatever. I’m going and my sales manager Joey is racing so getting it to ya won’t be a big issue.

Only catch is ya gotta pre pay. Too often people have me bring stuff
And then I hold it all day when I coulda sold it and then they ghost me. Sucks cuz I get burned and some other guy goes without. So we made the rule.

It’s good stuff. You’ll really like it.

Desert Pit Mats

Good Afternoon Racers and Teams!!!!

My name is Chris Orth and I am the owner of Big Red's Pit Supplies/ Desert Pit Mats. Having spent over 15 years in multiple pits for multiple race teams I know first hand the issues that come with working on off road race vehicles. When the new mandate for fluids management was enacted I decided to develop a mat that would meet all of the requirements set forth by BLM. Desert Pit Mats is a self containing fuel and oil containment mat that meets all of the standards set forth by the BLM. We are the first company to manufacture a fuel and oil containment mat that is APPROVED by BLM, BITD, SNORE, MORE and many other race organizations. We service racers of all classes and backgrounds. Desert Pit Mats are 100% American made; Durable; weather strong; anti-static; and most importantly easy to use. We have valued the opportunity to work with some great teams like BFG Pit Support, Herbst-Smith Pit Support, Concrete Motorsports Pit support, and many others. We can accommodate any size vehicle or need. Desert Pit Mats are sold in a kit that includes: separate small carry bag with all ground stakes included (ground stakes can be driven into ground using impact gun for convenience); carry bag for mat with durable handles and mat. We now offer an upgrade that can include your team logos and or an accent color on the bumpers of mat to add flare to your team pit. We are taking orders now and we can deliver by Silver state 300 race for our customers convenience call us today (661)-204-6893 !!!

Thank you
Chris Orth
www.Desertpitmats.com
[email protected]
(661)204-6893

****Below is a Copy of the BLM Fluids Management Mandate****

0D7BE95E-B166-49D4-BE54-564F6B39FB79.jpeg
A1E4F39F-4BDD-4FC5-94D0-826111882C82.jpeg
82E7F79A-7525-4681-869A-095C2028B1E4.jpeg
5B0BA41D-386A-4FC4-8816-677C414C1996.jpeg

DynoGuy

We have 'em at SDHQ. Made by HOSTYLE. They are tough. Any of the sales people at the counter can help you. (480)633-2929

If you don't wanna pay for shipping I can bring it to Silverstate and you can pick it up at tech. Just tell them "Dan200 said he'd bring it to the race".

FWIW I sell out of these at every BITD race I go to. I encourage those who want them to pre order.

View attachment 213246View attachment 213247
I thought the new mats had to have the raised containment edges to be legal.

Desert Pit Mats

The BLM Mandate. (40 CFR 300) of the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Contingency Plan states.(FEB-2013)

In paragraph 2 of the Fluids Mandate it states;
"The Permittee shall provide a method of controlling and capturing all fuel. At a minimum this requires an Impermeable membrane with raised edges capable of containing any fuel spilled during fueling or storage. Absorbent materials (commercially produced spill pads ,diapers) must be available to soak up spilled fuels. This Does not apply to fuel located within trucks or fuel drums "not in use" and stored in trucks or trailers. Empty fuel containers must be stored in trucks or trailers."

In Paragraph 3 it also states;
"The permittee shall provide a method of controlling and capturing fluids (oil, transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid, etc.) during vehicle maintenance and repairs. All Fluids must be contained in spill proof containers. At a minimum this requires an impermeable membrane with raised edges capable of containing any fluid spilled during maintenance or storage. absorbent materials (commercially produced spill pads, diapers) must be available to soak up any spilled fluids."

In order to adhere to all the requirements of the BLM and Federal Requirements is 1 containment to fit under vehicle that can contain any and all fluids that may be released during a pit stop or repair to said vehicle. Also all fuel jugs and towers or fueling rigs must be on some sort of containment mat that is fully sealed and can not leak, Desert Pit Mats are designed and engineered in order to prevent leakage or seepage of any fluids contained within. We have personally taken our mat to BLM offices in Nevada and California and been given the approval on our design that it meets the minimal standards set forth by BLM. As indicated above BLM Mandate requires containment capabilities on all mats during a pit stop and or storage of any fluids. Desert Pit Mats are specifically engineered and manufactured to meet or exceed BLM requirements. Constructed with materials that are designed to withstand hydro-carbon and petroleum based products.

Please see our website for more information and details on products available from Desert Pit Mats.

****Pictured is Desert Pit Mats small 5' X 5' Kit in saftey Orange.****

IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG