Fuel Tower Grounding

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Website
www.finishlineweld.com
Is there an easier way to ground towers other then bringing an 8ft. ground rod, driving it in the ground with a Bosch impact hammer and running #2 solid wire to tower? That's how we ground cell towers, so that's how we ground our fuel tower, but there has got to be an easier, less equipment demanding method out there. Thanks in advance,

Fourstroker

Reaction
Ground rod seems right. we always used long jumper cables for the wire

SMS81

Reaction
We use 2 3’ rods and jumper cables, then ground the car with a cable from the tower. Don’t know if it is 100% correct but has been inspected by the officials many times and have always been given a thumbs up. 3’ rod is hard enough to deal with, couldn’t imagine an 8’ every time!

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
3 of these will suffice. They will also work for your antenna near power lines.

Attachments

• D2A3E236-8C07-487B-9594-D7332BB645FE.png
    D2A3E236-8C07-487B-9594-D7332BB645FE.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

Tom_Willis

Reaction
A ground rod can be placed horizontally (it's in the NEC). But, to keep digging to a minimum, you could also make a "ground loop" instead of a straight rod, and bury it wherever you find loose soil instead of trying to drive copper into hard surfaces like the DG (decomposed granite) you find in Barstow. (It's also way easier to remove after the race). I've seen ground loops (encased in concrete) used on remote cell tower antennas; it's similar to the Ufer Ground system which uses a single 1/2" rebar to ground a home electrical panel to the rebar in the slab.

Zambo

Reaction
I think such large rods and cabling are overkill. The ground rod in your house is designed as a pathway for much larger amounts of electricity, such as a lightning strike. The purpose here is just to give a pathway for some static buildup to escape, no?

Also the major issue with fuel the race car isn't grounding stuff to the earth, but bonding the two vehicles together to prevent static jumping from one to the other. I usually see an antenna on the ground that the race vehicle rolls over which creates a bond the instant it gets into the pit, or a wire with a clamp on it that gets attached to the roll cage.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Didn't Riviera Racing lose a crewmember to an incident where they accidentally touched an overhead line with their Ringo antenna?

TecateRay

Reaction
Didn't Riviera Racing lose a crewmember to an incident where they accidentally touched an overhead line with their Ringo antenna?
They didn’t touch the overhead line. The high voltage arced 10+ feet . One of my friends was helping with the antenna and walked away a few minutes before the event.

JBuggy21

Reaction
#2 solid is overkill. #6 solid largest for 200amp house.
Running rod vertical with roto has always been the easiest in my experience. Digging horizontal 12” deep 8’ long takes more time but is much easier to remove.

dzrt performance

Reaction
Is there an easier way to ground towers other then bringing an 8ft. ground rod, driving it in the ground with a Bosch impact hammer and running #2 solid wire to tower? That's how we ground cell towers, so that's how we ground our fuel tower, but there has got to be an easier, less equipment demanding method out there. Thanks in advance,
cell towers have to absorb lightning strikes. this is very overkill for what you are doing.

you really only need to run a ground wire from the fuel tower to the truck so there is no potential for small spark when you connect the two together. grounding the fuel tower is fine too. one trick, depending on what the soil is like.....is to water down the area where you drive your ground rod in.

MTPyle

Reaction
How deep does a rod need to be for static discharge?

I know for lighting or high voltage a grounding rod needs to be 4’. But a ground strap for fuel truck has a tiny surface area connecting to the ground for discharge.

but for static you can get surface mats that work.

So if you have a metal rod into the ground it seems a foot or 18” would be enough for static. But I don’t know that for a fact.

Mike

Last edited:

Baja Fool

Reaction

Yes I was in that crew and they were setting up the antennae for comm and like Ray said it got too close to the power lines and jumped across. Pretty big boom when it happened, it knocked me down. There were a couple of crews close by with quite a few EMTs but it was too late. The other guy with Jeff lived....horrible.

MTPyle

Reaction
How close was the antenna to the power lines? always curios how close you have to be.

Mike

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
OSHA regulations state that a non qualified person (or anything they are handling) must maintain a 10' distance away from any conductor up to 50KV. That is 20' for cranes and other mechanical equipment/objects up to 350KV.

Obviously, those numbers grow with the voltage.

JBuggy21

Reaction
I would have to agree with the idea of creating a pathway between the car and the filler. Earth ground is always a good idea. Standard 1/2” or 5/8” 8’ rod.