Fueling shield/tarp?

mgobaja

Picture of where it will be needing to fit ? We have used thin lexan cut to fit, with a hole cut for the fuel fill neck to protrude through. Better yet, cut the protrusion into a U shape, so if the cap gets placed on in a hurry you can still get the splash shield off.

cosmo

Super Moderator
I'm wanting to have a"blanket" with a hole cut out to place over the fueling cap/inlet when fueling. To protect the driver and car from spillage while hoisting fuel cans.

mgobaja

I'm wanting to have a"blanket" with a hole cut out to place over the fueling cap/inlet when fueling. To protect the driver and car from spillage while hoisting fuel cans.
Get a large piece of thin rubber to work to deflect the possible spillage, or get an apron like the steam cleaning guys use, and cut it to serve your needs. OR - consider dry brakes, or teaching those fueling to slow down a bit.

cosmo

Super Moderator
That's what I'm thinking, now to start a search for rubber or apron type material!

jeff

Tyvek works pretty good for this assuming your fueling doesn't take place directly next to a high heat source. If you've got a "steel" car some magnets can be glued to the Tyvek in the corners to make it stick in the wind and not get in the way during fueling. It's cheap (find free used suits) and readily available at Home Depot / Lowes. It's light weight, pretty strong and won't soak up gasoline like a blanket material will. It folds or rolls up for quick and easy storage. If it does get spilled on a few shakes will get most of the fuel off. DuPont says the breakthrough time for gasoline is greater than 8 hours so for what you are going to be doing it might be a great material.

Aloha