• Forum membership has its advantages....

Full size vs. Mid size

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Well as you may or may not know, I have been planning a build up for some time. I originally wanted to build a Ranger similar to that of RIVIERA Racing's (Nick Baldwin) Prerunner. However, being 6' 3" tall, I want to be comfortable. I have a Ranger now that is four wheel drive with a camburg Kit on it (camburg Rocks) and it is getting to be too small. So I thought about bumping up to an F-150 or 250 and building that similar to the PLANK motorsports yellow F-150 (rest in peace). Naturally It should be able to fit at least 35's on it. And be four-linked with who knows what kind of front end. So I guess what I want to know is what are the advantages between each and what are the disadvantages. I think I will go with bilstein shocks or maybe Sway-a-way or even King, I don't know yet. Give me some insight as to what is the best. Thanks for all the advice. I want to do this soon, so any advice you can give would be appreciated.
-Josh
Kaotick industries

Waldo

Safehouse
Equations #1 More Power + More Comfort + Bigger Suspension + Bigger Office = FULL SIZE

I went from a Toy prerunner to a F-150 prerunner...never will I go back. It may be heavier but the looks and feel are better to me.

Brannon

BRAAAAAAAAP!

rdc

Thanks for the info, tell me more about your 150.
What do you run up front, shocks, rear, gearing, etc...

scott

Dude, I had a Full-size F-150 then to a Toyota X-tra cab, and now I'm back to an F-150......Full-Size

rdc

Im building mine right now also and for prerunning the bigger ride is the way to go. Put 3 seats in that thing and your ready to go. H and M motorsports did my front end with the equal length beams and the SAW coilovers and it just mows [censored] down. I compare the difference to being in a small boat on the river vs. a larger one the small boat tends to get tossed around a bit going through the wakes where as the larger boat just soaks it up.

Attachments

Waldo

Safehouse
Squash, I've only added new Camburg upper control arms, Eibach's, Bilsteins, and wheels and tires...It's not as aggressive as I can afford but I already like the way it rides off-road. It can only get better. I hear the Camburg long travel kit is pretty nice. Check it out on their website...www.camburg.com. Late!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

rdc

I don't really have to check it out, I have Camburg custom suspension on my 4 x 4 Ranger. The long travel kits they make are outstanding.

rdc

Toddt, your truck is what inspired me to go fullsize, it tight!!!
What do you have in the rear?

rdc

just started on my F-150 and it kicks rangers ass got a 4.6 in it with JBA's intake exhaust. As for gearing you Have to get 4:88 they may seem high but they rock! with an AOD transmission i can hit 80 on the freeway with 33s at 3000 RPMS and off the line i smoke rockets and they dont expect what coming. As for all my friends they got rangers and i beat em all the time SO diffently go with he F-150

Drive it like you Stole it
dan

Gabe Lara

Its interesting to see others opinions on fullsize or midsize, but there is alot more to it, I think...
I am 6'2" and have NO problem getting in and out of my Ranger. Dan Vance is a good size guy too, and I'm sure he'd say the same about his beast.
Off-road you may want to consider what will work better for you, a shorter wheelbase or a longer wheelbase?
And suspension set-up will say alot too......Beams or A-arms? Springs or linked? It could be the difference in handling felling like its a Cadillac, or a Porsche, especially with the wheelbase.
As far as horsepower, Baldwins' prerunner has a V8 in it, as does mine (5.0 litre 302), so no worries in the "pony department". I was running 37's for some time, and had NO problem smoking them.( I'm now running 35's for MPG reasons) 9 inch rear end geared with a 4:88, and cruising @ 2800 rpm doing cruising 80 mph in the fast lane.....And plenty of power to spare.

Hope this helps!

WFODAN

Well I'm in total agreeance with Gabe . I'm over 6'1 and I fit in my ranger pretty comfortable . And remeber it's only a standard cab . As for the big trucks out doing the little trucks ........ I have to disagree . I think it's just a matter of what you want to build . If you have enough money to set it up right , you can make anything a great off road vehicle . Myself I prefer the smaller truck in the desert . I've whooped on alot of big trucks with lots of money in them . It's kinda like the story of David and Goliath . The bigger truck doesn't always work the best . My truck is only a V-6 and it goes plenty good . I run 35 Bajas on it and I run 5.14 gears in it . It works good in the desert and it'll light the tires on fire at a stop light . It all goes back to set up . People can prefer it either way , big truck or little truck . It's the setup that will make it work good . Not whether it's an F150 or a Ranger . Good luck on your project .

Dan Vance

Mike_HKmtrsprts

I agree with Dan its not full size or mid size its how the truck is set up and how much $$$$ your willing to spend....

From silicone boobs to long travel kits
HK Motorsports can handle all your bolt on needs

rdc

Well thanks for all the great advice, unfrotunately I think its going to be personal preferrence for me. What would you all suggest for suspension now? Fullsize or midsize?