Fun with Classifieds!

cynicwanderer

Reaction
What would the cost be to replace 3-4 of those LS motors after each crapped out at about 100k miles towing a big toy hauler versus a 7.3 diesel doing the same and being replaced at 500k miles?
yeah, I suspect people who do a gasser swap don't plan to drive it that long, before they trade it in for something different... but who knows. Even a 7.3 is not as cheap to rebuild as a LS, but I agree that they last a lot longer.

cjohnson

Reaction
What would the cost be to replace 3-4 of those LS motors after each crapped out at about 100k miles towing a big toy hauler versus a 7.3 diesel doing the same and being replaced at 500k miles?
Why compare the most optimistic estimate on the 7.3 versus a pessimistic estimate on the gasser? The LQ4 6.0 is a workhorse.

Sites

Reaction
Why compare the most optimistic estimate on the 7.3 versus a pessimistic estimate on the gasser? The LQ4 6.0 is a workhorse.
That, and for every "500k 7.3" there are dozens that weren't taken care of and either crapped out earlier or have needed thousands of dollars in maintenance to hit that mythical 500k mark. I've owned two 7.3s and they are great. But people trying to sell 20+ year old, clapped out high mileage trucks for a few thousand less than something brand new deserve whatever criticism is thrown their way. Or the vultures selling newer used trucks for $30k+ over the price of buying the exact same version new.

43mod

Reaction
$8k over sticker here in podunk kali .population 5500 . Almost zero inventory f550 and down . 650/750s on the lot though .

Sites

Reaction
$8k over sticker here in podunk kali .population 5500 . Almost zero inventory f550 and down . 650/750s on the lot though .

It took me one call to find and special order a 2022 F550 from a small dealer in Oregon. Signed agreement for $3k+ below sticker. Its been confirmed built, shipped and arrived in Portland via rail. Waiting for pick-up by truck to deliver to the dealer any day now. Ford and other manufacturers appear to be prioritizing customer orders over dealer stock. Based on a tracking spreadsheet in another forum, order to delivery time right now is less than 90 days and declining. So anyone trying to roll up to a dealer and buy the one truck they have in stock will probably get fleeced.

jon coleman

Reaction
During the v2r qualifying live feed they said Steve O from Team Ford here in Vegas usually has about 2500 trucks on his lot …he said he is down to 20 vehicles trucks/cars total on his lot.
😍

Attachments

• 200w.gif
    200w.gif
    316 KB · Views: 0

Robin Hood

Reaction
It took me one call to find and special order a 2022 F550 from a small dealer in Oregon. Signed agreement for $3k+ below sticker. Its been confirmed built, shipped and arrived in Portland via rail. Waiting for pick-up by truck to deliver to the dealer any day now. Ford and other manufacturers appear to be prioritizing customer orders over dealer stock. Based on a tracking spreadsheet in another forum, order to delivery time right now is less than 90 days and declining. So anyone trying to roll up to a dealer and buy the one truck they have in stock will probably get fleeced.

Not exactly true. Some trucks are getting scheduled quickly, others not so much. I bet it is rare or non-existant to actually get one in 90 days from order to delivery. I ordered one in April and the expected delivery is middle of September. I also ordered one in June and won't see it until probably October. There are plenty that ordered in March and April and have not even been scheduled to build. It can take 45 days from build to delivery alone.

Robin Hood

Reaction
During the v2r qualifying live feed they said Steve O from Team Ford here in Vegas usually has about 2500 trucks on his lot …he said he is down to 20 vehicles trucks/cars total on his lot.
2500? Maybe 250 trucks, but even that is a lot from what I have seen in their inventory in the past.

Sites

Reaction
Not exactly true. Some trucks are getting scheduled quickly, others not so much. I bet it is rare or non-existant to actually get one in 90 days from order to delivery. I ordered one in April and the expected delivery is middle of September. I also ordered one in June and won't see it until probably October. There are plenty that ordered in March and April and have not even been scheduled to build. It can take 45 days from build to delivery alone.

Correct, not all build times at less than 90 days. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme of reason as to how Ford is selecting the order of which invoices to pull for production each week - with the exception of certain "tech" options that seem to cause longer delays. But of the ~270 user submitted orders that are being tracked in this spreadsheet, the avg time between order date and build date is 85 days and declining:

Also, production of the 2022's didn't actually begin until early July. So orders placed earlier are keeping that avg days high right now. I ordered mine on 4/13 and it was built on 7/26. But there are a lot of people that ordered in May/June who's trucks are already built and in transit or already delivered - or as some would refer to as "rare or non-existent" ;)

Last edited:

43mod

Reaction
Corning ford . 7th in the nation at one point . I have seen them have over 500 trucks parked at the ranch 20 miles from the store . “Lot” does not mean everything . Bought a brand new 2000 in 05 or 06 that got lost fir a while .

Robin Hood

Reaction
Based on a tracking spreadsheet in another forum, ORDER TO DELIVERY time right now is less than 90 days and declining. So anyone trying to roll up to a dealer and buy the one truck they have in stock will probably get fleeced.

the avg time between ORDER TO BUILD date is 85 days and declining:

There are a lot of people that ordered in May/June who's trucks are already built and in transit or already delivered - or as some would refer to as "rare or non-existent" ;)

Come on Joe...see what you did there. BTW...only 5 retail orders in June already delivered out of the mentioned 270 tracked.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Know plenty of commercial companies that get nowhere near the 'workhorse' work out of either of the offerings from Ford or Chevy gas plants as advertised. Also know plenty of folks with 7.3s that have gotten 300, 400, and 500k miles out of their trucks without pulling heads or otherwise going inside the block. Saying chit don't wear out on gas motors while complaining about having to replace wear items on diesels is a joke, and you know it. And trying to say that poor maintenance on 7.3s while denying the same for gas motors? Again, stop with the jokes.

cjohnson

Reaction
Know plenty of commercial companies that get nowhere near the 'workhorse' work out of either of the offerings from Ford or Chevy gas plants as advertised. Also know plenty of folks with 7.3s that have gotten 300, 400, and 500k miles out of their trucks without pulling heads or otherwise going inside the block. Saying chit don't wear out on gas motors while complaining about having to replace wear items on diesels is a joke, and you know it. And trying to say that poor maintenance on 7.3s while denying the same for gas motors? Again, stop with the jokes.
The only reason the 7.3 is so well liked is because the 6.0 Powerjoke was such a POS. It's like an average girl standing next to a fat chick.

Sites

Reaction
Come on Joe...see what you did there. BTW...only 5 retail orders in June already delivered out of the mentioned 270 tracked.

Sorry Frank, I meant order date to build date. Look at the number of orders that are marked at delivered, awaiting shipment, in-transit or in-production. What is that, like 60%+ for the entire list? Not too bad for vehicles that just went into production about 5 weeks ago.

Anyhow, my point is that unless you want to throw money away by buying marked up dealer stock, there are plenty of dealers out there that would probably be willing to let someone place an order for MSRP or below and it will be build pretty quickly.

Last edited:

cynicwanderer

Reaction
The only reason the 7.3 is so well liked is because the 6.0 Powerjoke was such a POS. It's like an average girl standing next to a fat chick.
the reason that the 7.3 is/was popular, is because it was underpowered for the displacement/weight. more modern diesels get more power/torque for the displacement and weight, but are more complex because of that and the emission requirement, because of that, they have less margin in the design to make them as reliable. another example of this, is the 300cuin/4.9l ford straight six, it's also under powered, simple and has lots of margin and lasts forever.

43mod

Reaction
“Under powered for displacement/weight “ 😊😊 . 500 hp . 12,000 pounds . Modern t4 dsl and nat gas/propane ag engines might get 12,000 hours if maintained very well . This under powered beast will hit 50,000 hrs before swinging heads . In frame and heads at 80,000 plus . Then another zero hour rebuild around 120,000 . Cam and timing gears are ready by then . Thats recycling .

Attachments

• 899343B4-4B0D-4287-82D2-93B8A4D67324.jpeg
    899343B4-4B0D-4287-82D2-93B8A4D67324.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

cjohnson

Reaction
the reason that the 7.3 is/was popular, is because it was underpowered for the displacement/weight. more modern diesels get more power/torque for the displacement and weight, but are more complex because of that and the emission requirement, because of that, they have less margin in the design to make them as reliable. another example of this, is the 300cuin/4.9l ford straight six, it's also under powered, simple and has lots of margin and lasts forever.
Thanks for restating what I just said with three times as many words 🤣