Future state of UTV Classes

E.Hagle

Reaction
If the UTV guys are going to race on the same courses maybe there needs to be some components and chassis reinforcement that are necessary while still being in the spirit of “production”. San Felipe will tear even the best built vehicles apart.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Kick Unlimitied to play with Class 10
Hard NO.

Just because the golf carts have an identity crisis doesn't mean ya get to go and screw up Class 10.

No No No GIF by Chaz French

Zac Reish

Reaction
Into my second year racing these UTV's. Totally different approach to driving than any desert car I have ever raced. They are literally faster than most anything out there if you could drive them like anything out there. But you can't.. and here inlays the fun & competition.

I agree with Dave Cole. Keep it simple. 3 classes. Unlimited, Pro Turbo, and N/A. We finally have some huge car counts like in the 80's racing tire to tire for 400 miles.

I don't understand 35" tires. I don't understand 80" width. My car Can Am's on 32's and 72" wide is fun. The 2020 rules are pretty solid rules and should not be changed. Sorry Steve Sourapas, your car is bad ass, but it's built to drive like a 10 car, not a UTV. You sir have been punked.

I am spending more money per race than any class I have raced other than a Trophy Truck. Even 6100 is cheaper for a season of racing. Keep the rules simple, cause the price will explode and the classes will diminish.

Are you seriously spending more racing a utv than 6100? If you don’t mind. Where is it costing so much?

JerryB

Reaction
No way you're spending more on a UTV program than a 6100....unless you're simply throwing money away on useless items. I know exactly how much it costs to run a full season with my car and I can tell you it's nowhere near what it costs to race, prep and maintain a 6100. Unless like I said you're simply pissing money away on useless expenditures, way overpaying someone to prep instead of doing it yourself (which is still cheaper than a 6100 prep), dropping a new engine/trans every race? I can run an entire season for the cost of a 6100 motor alone.

MTPyle

Reaction
Pretty sure he was just joking about spending more to race a UTV than a 6100. I just bought a new Can Am 4 seater for a pre runner. Building a cage, radios, GPS, and suspension. The can am cost me less than we just spent to do a full prep and repair on our 6100.

we had a few major issues with this prep. Opened up the trans and it was blown up. So there are way more gotchas in 6100 than UTV.

edit- the trans issue was not my trans guy (Maximum transmission) fault. The Coan drivetrain came undone and went on a bender tearing up the place. Haha my trans guys did amazing getting us back up and going and making sure it won’t happen again. I think the drivetrain was built on a Friday afternoon. At least it made it to the finish of a 300 mile race.

Mike

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction
They are literally faster than most anything out there if you could drive them like anything out there.

I am spending more money per race than any class I have raced other than a Trophy Truck.
Pretty sure he was just joking about spending more to race a UTV than a 6100. I just bought a new Can Am 4 seater for a pre runner. Building a cage, radios, GPS, and suspension. The can am cost me less than we just spent to do a full prep and repair on our 6100.

Mike

I don't think he was kidding about the cost or the speed🤣

JerryB

Reaction
I dont make decisions based on sponsors.

A UTV is a UTV is a UTV. Want to put a turbo on it. Cool.

Having multiple classes to make up for companies deciding to run a turbo is dumb.

We have never had a turbo class, yet all the OEMs race and support the event.

We dont seem to be losing entries because we dont write NA on our Orange Slices

Co'mon Dave, that's like saying a rock crawler is a rock crawler is a rock crawler. There are multiple classes and definitions of of cars at KOH, as many or more than there are for UTV's. There are some valid suggestions here, by some involved in the UTV's, for class designations, rules to be built around and other qualifiers, but to say they're all the same and should be lumped together is just dumb. I hoped you had started this thread to open some discussion on class rules and maybe with your connections, help get the class rules in a better direction with the other promoters, but seems like you were just bored and wanted to see what you could stir up? If so well done.

I am all for clarifying rules, sorting out some issues now coming up with the class as it has grown exponentially, but without the promoters coming together this is all just a waste of time.

Ikaika

Reaction

we had a few major issues with this prep. Opened up the trans and it was blown up. So there are way more gotchas in 6100 than UTV.

edit- the trans issue was not my trans guy (Maximum transmission) fault. The Coan drivetrain came undone and went on a bender tearing up the place. Haha my trans guys did amazing getting us back up and going and making sure it won’t happen again. I think the drivetrain was built on a Friday afternoon. At least it made it to the finish of a 300 mile race.

Mike
Hey Mike,

Would you be so kind as to expand on what COAN items let go ?

Thank you in advance......

jon coleman

Reaction
Dave im sure is reading All this crap, as are other ' wheels' involved in the higher up the food chain in motorsports are,best place for good, bad , ugly suggestions is at the lunch table with All the crew there giving there 2 cents, 'table of truth', Everything gets aired out, period

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I think its funny reading how stooopid I am for not having multiple classes and how it will never work.
Over complicating things has now bled over into Ultra 3 also.

I'm not sure the exact numbers but my ATC 70 build is getting ridiculously expensive just to run in the spec class. #shouldajustboughtamason

Happy belated birthday Dave. See ya next week.

MTPyle

Reaction
Hey Mike,

Would you be so kind as to expand on what COAN items let go ?

Thank you in advance......

The pin that holds a planetary gear came out. So it was the Coan Close ratio drivetrain system that blew up. Of course the most expensive part in the trans. LOL to be fair it was working its way out after Parker and we called Coan and they said they had never seen that and to tighten the set screw that holds the pin and lock tight it. Which we did but clearly it did not work. It had to be some odd manufacturing problem that made it come loose again. We got a new one form Coan and I think it will hold up. I think it was a fluke. Again just glad it did not cause a DNF.

Mike

BTW- I dont mind derailing this thread as its really done anyway. LOL Dave asked and got good feedback. I think he got what he was looking for and more.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpeg
    IMG_1572.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

JerryB

Reaction
Ive read every post, multiple times.

I understand the NA thing and have already added it to my list, for desert races only. However, I think its funny reading how stooopid I am for not having multiple classes and how it will never work.
Dont recall anyone saying you were stooopid. I read back through too, can't find anyone saying you were stupid, as far as my statement maybe you misunderstood? I called the statement dumb, not you. I respect what you've done with your series and would probably have a great time having a cocktail around a campfire with you, but don't expect me to tickle your taint just because you're Dave Cole. If I disagree with you I'll tell you. There have been many suggestions here from racers, but you seem to have already made your mind up on what's best for the class. It's ultimately your series so do as you wish.

jon coleman

Reaction
yes, All race promoters do it to advance All Mankind, they are virtuous and pure in every aspect, they never make mistakes( small errors once in awhile), with out race promotors, where you gonna race?, i think All race promotors are doing society a service( even mx promotors), because otherwise there would be psychotic crazy racers running around with no race