Future state of UTV Classes

Goober

RDC Crypto
That's not exactly true. We still plan to race our UTV and believe me it's way less money that any truck but not sure about a 10 car as I haven't raced one for years. Look at the times as the Pro Turbo UTV's are fast and aren't a poop show. We for sure had a learning curve the first year to make the UTV reliable but I think we are there now. When we sold our Mason AWD we knew we will build another truck and decided to build a Herbst 6100 which we felt fit our program the best. I think the boys have benefitted from racing a UTV as it's made the better all around drivers.
You plan on racing the Geiser?

GageFamilyRacing

RDC Crypto
Understood, so what was the other donkey talking about Honda getting a pass on something? I assumed he was talking about Turbos.
Wow I've been called worse than a donkey before but I'm sure I probably deserved it then. But in this case you should probably do a little research before you run fingers across the keyboard calling people names. Dan is correct that Honda NO LONGER runs a turbo but if you do a little research you will find that Honda tried to run a turbo that I believe was a dealer installed option just like the GYTR turbo kit for a Yamaha. Problem was that it was on a factory produced NA car and the rules didn't allow for that in any series at the time. Fish did a live show with a few people on this at the time and it seemed nobody was in favor of allowing it. MM adjusted the rules to allow certain aftermarket turbos to be added to factory produced NA cars. So again like I said Honda did in fact lobby to get the rules changed and they succeeded to some point. The following year Factory Honda went to the NA class and have been doing a great job with the race program.

(this post has been officially fact checked by Facebook)

Argentino

RDC Crypto
Adding a turbo to a NA engine isn't a huge benefit. In fact, it closes the tuning window and makes the engine much less reliable. A big misconception over the past 10 years or so is that high compression turbo is more potent. That's simply not true. Lower compression = more cylinder volume and ultimately more tuning window for big power. More timing, more fuel, more air (boost), etc...

This is why the big cams that are highly effective for low compression turbo aren't nearly as effective on the high compression engines. The VE is maxed relatively quick.

Let people add turbo to their NA cars... they can have them rebuilt every other race.

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
Wow I've been called worse than a donkey before but I'm sure I probably deserved it then. But in this case you should probably do a little research before you run fingers across the keyboard calling people names. Dan is correct that Honda NO LONGER runs a turbo but if you do a little research you will find that Honda tried to run a turbo that I believe was a dealer installed option just like the GYTR turbo kit for a Yamaha. Problem was that it was on a factory produced NA car and the rules didn't allow for that in any series at the time. Fish did a live show with a few people on this at the time and it seemed nobody was in favor of allowing it. MM adjusted the rules to allow certain aftermarket turbos to be added to factory produced NA cars. So again like I said Honda did in fact lobby to get the rules changed and they succeeded to some point. The following year Factory Honda went to the NA class and have been doing a great job with the race program.

(this post has been officially fact checked by Facebook)

Im confused, does a Honda (which does not currently have an OEM turbo) currently run a turbo of any sort?

If so in what racing orgs?

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
So again like I said Honda did in fact lobby to get the rules changed and they succeeded to some point.
I'm gonna say that "lobby" is probably not the best term for what went on here. That makes it sound like a car company tried to influence or sway a sanctioning body toward a desired action (making the turbo legal). The way you say it makes it sound sorta sinister.

Honda, (the car company) wanted the team to run the turbos. Honda (the off road team) asked SCORE/BITD if they could. The argument being that these turbos were set to be the actual honda turbo but honda did not have their name on it, yet.

At this point there was a lot of talk that Honda was gonna come in and big money their way into win and championships. The talons had zillions of horespowers and with their corporate backing and global shareholders behind them the talons were set to ruin desert racing for the other manufacturers. None of this was true. They asked (and pleaded the case on Fishgistics because of all the online drama.) They got denied and raced the classes they were legal for.

Anyway my point is about semantics- Asking and lobbying are not the same. There were no corporate jets flying the Folks family around and nobody at SCORE got free golf trips.

Last edited:

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
Honda does not race a turbo UTV currently.

So the entire point of Honda supposedly lobbying some race org to change the rules is moot?

Were the rules ever changed to allow this? If so, in what race org can an OEM UTV which does not come with a OEM turbo, add a turbo and race legally?

sand shark

RDC Crypto
So the entire point of Honda supposedly lobbying some race org to change the rules is moot?

Were the rules ever changed to allow this? If so, in what race org can an OEM UTV which does not come with a OEM turbo, add a turbo and race legally?

I do not think Honda was lobbying any one to change the rules. They could always race in the unlimited class if they wanted to throw a turbo on the UTVs.

I am not sure which, if any, race org would allow a non-OEM turbo to race in the turbo production class.

GageFamilyRacing

RDC Crypto
Im confused, does a Honda (which does not currently have an OEM turbo) currently run a turbo of any sort?

If so in what racing orgs?

Mint 400 and UTV Word Championships changed the rules to allow NA cars to use select aftermarket turbos in the Production Turbo class. The Factory Honda team has been the only team to do it and they only did it the one year that I know of.

GageFamilyRacing

RDC Crypto
I do not think Honda was lobbying any one to change the rules. They could always race in the unlimited class if they wanted to throw a turbo on the UTVs.

I am not sure which, if any, race org would allow a non-OEM turbo to race in the turbo production class.
Proctor said they were under contract to race the Pro Turbo class so racing anything else wasn't an option. But yes the car would have been legal in the unlimited class all day but Honda wanted them to race the premier class

JerryB

RDC Crypto

Mad media

JerryB

RDC Crypto

Uh....mad media

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
Mint 400 and UTV Word Championships changed the rules to allow NA cars to use select aftermarket turbos in the Production Turbo class. The Factory Honda team has been the only team to do it and they only did it the one year that I know of.

So the Org that did it is the Martelli's (edited Mad Media)? Which according to most on this forum doesnt really matter? Because its 2 races that dont mean much in comparison to say winning any of the Baja races, the top BITD race or championship-ing either of those 2 Orgs.

Then to top it off, they don't currently race in the class? This is your bone to pick?

That is what is being compared to Polaris completely reinventing the rules and most likely lobbying the TOP race ORGs to change the rules that have been in place for quite a while?

Do I have this correct?

I would say this is probably the biggest apples to oranges comparison I have seen on RDC in quite a while.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I can't wait for the fact that it's not a belt drive to become the next big deal.
That's the thing though. That should never be a big deal.

Belts don't make a UTV.

Having an engine requirement to be under 1000cc is what makes it a UTV.

CVT? Sequential? Mendeola SDR5? Albins ST6? Sure. Any trans you want! Just be under 1000cc on your engine.
Turbo? Supercharger? E85? Sure! Just be under 1000cc on your engine.

OFFRD-JNKIE

RDC Crypto
They never seem to win (or finish) a desert race either...

Sorry, that's not quite true but I couldn't resist 😂
and finished 17th and 29th at 2021 Hammers.

Far from true...

DTA 55

RDC Crypto
That's the thing though. That should never be a big deal.

Belts don't make a UTV.

Having an engine requirement to be under 1000cc is what makes it a UTV.

CVT? Sequential? Mendeola SDR5? Albins ST6? Sure. Any trans you want! Just be under 1000cc on your engine.
Turbo? Supercharger? E85? Sure! Just be under 1000cc on your engine.

Sounds pretty simple to me.

Arent the Honda and the Yamaha NON-CVT?

Arent they currently allowed to race in the classes where they fit?

Has anybody EVER made an issue of the trans?