On Topic fwd swap to class 1

corvairclass1

RDC Crypto
just asking if anyone has used a fwd drive setup in the rear of their car, am planning on doing it to my prerunner build, just want to know if its been done, and to what level of success.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
The problem with that is gearing. Can you get low enough gearing for the trans you ate using to make it useful? How will it stand up to shock loading from large tires? Auto or stick?

Advertising supports this site

Argentino

RDC Crypto
I'm drawing a blank on this due to the longitudinal aspect. What engine/trans combo are you talking about?

JBuggy21

RDC Crypto
Back in the day when we built a few lambo/Ferrari kit cars we used some front wheel drive cars and it worked surprisingly well. Trans were cable shifted so the transmission being on the back of the car wasn’t a big deal. I will say they handled terrible on road because the weight was not balanced.
What car are you planning on using? I don’t think any fwd car has a trans that will hold up.

corvairclass1

RDC Crypto
Back in the day when we built a few lambo/Ferrari kit cars we used some front wheel drive cars and it worked surprisingly well. Trans were cable shifted so the transmission being on the back of the car wasn’t a big deal. I will say they handled terrible on road because the weight was not balanced.
What car are you planning on using? I don’t think any fwd car has a trans that will hold up.
Im planning on using a supercharged 3800 on a matchhing transaxle out of a pontiac bonneville.

Bebop

RDC Crypto
Gear ratio is gonna be a problem.

The Bonneville has 235/50R18 tires which is about 27.25"

IDK what tire size you're planning to run on your class 1, but you don't want to go over the factory size size and that may provide to be difficult.

Also, there is no way the factory trans will hold to offroad abuse you'll put this thing though.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Yeah, then you end up with really low gears. OK for a rock crawler but a 50mph top speed ain't gonna cut it in a pre-runner.

corvairclass1

RDC Crypto
Thanks everyone for the advice, I was just seeing what you guys thought about this whole idea, as my dad wanted me to just use the transaxle to save time and effort, but i had a hunch that it was not going to hold up, guess im building a truggy now.

corvairclass1

RDC Crypto
To add to this, would the manual transmission out of a 1988 s10 blazer hold up better, i am now planning to run it in to the cab and use the transfer case to run the power back to a live axle, I probably will have to widen my chassis, but i also should be able to get some pretty serious travel, at least for a play buggy in the midwest

JBuggy21

RDC Crypto
Sorry but I don’t think any of this is a good idea. Vw is still the cheapest route. Next would be build 002 or 091 and ecotec. Bang for buck, hard to beat.

corvairclass1

RDC Crypto
Sorry but I don’t think any of this is a good idea. Vw is still the cheapest route. Next would be build 002 or 091 and ecotec. Bang for buck, hard to beat.
I have to work with what i have, and what i can afford, i got the 3800 for free, i can get the blazers transmission for free. If you have any recommendations on how to use the blazers transmission more effectively, let me know. I dont have many other options, i'm 16, i can't afford the fancy stuff, so im making do with what i have. I'd love if i could just use a vw, but the way the chassis is set up, that would require me to flip it the opposite way its supposed to be, sticking out the back. That, and the fact that the 3800 supercharged makes 260 hp without me messing with the tune, which is going to happen, i dont think a stock vw transaxle is going to last long, which it needs to, as this is a play buggy.

JBuggy21

RDC Crypto
So with the 3800 and trans from a fwd car your output on the transmission is very wide, meaning your axles will be short. You can use it and just expect to have limited travel in the rear.
Using the trans from the blazer and running a transfer case sounds like a lot of extra work.
One other thing to consider, if you are trying to get the most bang for buck. I built one of my first little buggies, it cost considerably more to build it from scratch then buying a complete one that needed a little work. Rollers are pretty cheap. Steel is much more then It used to be.

AaronMacomber

RDC Crypto
another thing to keep in mind on the FWD transaxle: most arent "centered", meaning youll have different length axles. that will also have an effect on your wheel travel, in that one wheel will have more/less travel than the other. Stock FWD CV joints arent typically very conducive to angles, and Im not sure if modifying to a 930 would be attainable.

Depending on your chassis, your best bet may be to run mid engine, backed with the manual trans into a straight axle.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
didnt nissan run a mid-(rear?) eng.& trns/ transfer case facing backwards to a rear straight axle, then the former rear axle out put yoke now went forward to an ifs front diff?