gages

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
what gages are most people running on or in their dash?

I was thinking the basics would be fuel, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, voltage, tach, and I want a speedometer. my truck will have a manual trans so no need for trans temp.

also, would you recommend mechanical gages or electronic gages? I should also be looking at liquid filled gages correct? I dont want to use a "gage pod" thing like a stack or race pak. I like the look of the classic autometer gage

jeff

Reaction
Full sweep are more expensive and thought to be more accurate than short sweep. Electronic are easier to install and depending on the gauge can be safer when installed inside the cab of a vehicle than mechanical. There was a discussion on here a few years ago about the benefit of liquid filled vs. non-liquid filled. If I remember right it was about 50/50 on the good and bad. If I were going to purchase new gauges I'd splurge and run the Nordskog gauge with the built in idiot light / accessory switch on option. They are also designed to prevent pointer bounce when you are thrashing offshore and this works equally well on a dirt road.

Aloha

diirk

Reaction
I've never been a fan of digital guages, but I'm going to try out the Racepak. It has everything I need in a compact space.

For you, I'd start off with budget, and get the best you can within. My preference is definately electronic. I don't really have a brand pref, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major mfgs.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i think im going to try out the auto meter ultra lite or ultra lite II gages 2 1/16th gages with a 5 " tach and speedo. electric full sweep. They are not liquid filled. those nordskog gages look rad but Im not prepared to spend $1K on gages plus i could not find a big tach or speedo

the gages Im looking at look to be in the $50 to $70 range each excpet the speedo and tach

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Run a exaust temp gage also they come in real handy when jetting or WFO on a lake bed.
And their alot cheaper than a wideband o2 gage

G.A.S.

Reaction
I am running Autometer guages and I get them from Summit. They are all Procomps. I would have gotten the carbon fiber ones but my dash is carbon fiber and it would have been too much. They look really nice. I would recommend electrical and you can't get all of them liquid filled so I didnt get any. I don't have any problems with the needle bouncing around or anything so it may not be entirely necessary.

desertspeed

Reaction
I priced out gauges for my prerunner (tach, speedo, oil pressure, water termp, transmission temp, volt, fuel level) and the Racepak UDX-SR is actually cheaper than most quality guages. It is $725, and another $25 to add a transmission temp sender. It also already comes with fan relays, warning lights, and turn signals as well.

I definitely think that is the way to go.

diirk

Reaction
One big selling point for me on the Racepak is that they have an optional IR Temp Sensor, so I can track belt temp on the CVT.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I had a "racepak like" dash on a prerunner and would not do that again. Have electric, full sweeps Autometers on the Jimco and will likely replace them with SPEK gauges from proparts. NASCAR is pretty much standardizing on SPEK and their programability while still being simple is the advantage.

racer56

Reaction
I had a "racepak like" dash on a prerunner and would not do that again. Have electric, full sweeps Autometers on the Jimco and will likely replace them with SPEK gauges from proparts. NASCAR is pretty much standardizing on SPEK and their programability while still being simple is the advantage.

What brand dash did you have, that you did not like and why?

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
What brand dash did you have, that you did not like and why?

It was a PiResearch dash now owned by Cosworth.

Overall, it was too complex to maintain with buggy sensors and programming and way too complicated for the co-rider to pay accurate attention to.