Garages!!!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
First off Klaus...props to you on separating out this section!

Secondly, I am waiting for my new house to be built and am trying to design the work area in th garage. I am planning on building some regular old shelves on one side. However, I am thinking of puting some nice cabinets and a workbench on the front wall. I came across this web site but the quality and cost are pretty high. They look great but looks aren't everything!

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/index.html

My question: Does anybody know of other companies that have nice workbenches and cabinets at a reasonable price? The attatched picture is what I am thinking about. Thanks.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Attachments

MNotary

Reaction
Check home depot. Then buy some stainless sheet. Break it around the outer edge. I glued down some formica top. That stuff you are looking at is for trailers. Pretty heavy duty. Acid etch the floor, ammonia to neutralize and spend the money on some heavy epoxy floor paint. Groits grage had some decent stuff, but I think there is just as good if not better out there for less. Lots of light and everything white. Put a sink in it too. Parts cleaning area and assembly area. Plenty of work surfaces.

Ryno

Reaction
Waldo-

Congrats on the new house! I saw your pics of the cabs, and I asked myself where I would put a transmission when I was rebuilding it, or any large object for that matter. I am assuming you prefer a smaller work area for smaller stuff. Just thinking about that, since even a Bike motor takes up alot of space. Just my .02

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
MNotary, why should I do those things to the floor of my garage? I have heard of people painting the floor but never knew why. Wouldn't a car tire create black marks if it painted a color other than black? Just wondering. Also, those cabinets I listed are for trailers, garages and shops as noted on their site. They are a little pricey but look very nice.

Ryno, I found some other sites with other ideas regarding the size of the bench itself. I am looking for something I can bolt to the floor and wall. I will be mainly working on motorcycle components and misc house stuff. I have only dropped on transmission in my life! Thanks for the advice.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

tkr

Reaction
Paint would, but the epoxy coating they use is usually white or light grey, is very resistant tire marks, oil, etc... I would definitely recommend it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

vwguy

Reaction
i think for floor the vinyl tile with a checker pattern looks the best

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I have already made a plea for that one but the "wifey" thought it would clash with our house. The nice 16" ones look really nice. That will probably have to wait for the next house!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

tkr

Reaction
actually I think plaid looks the best. And make sure you dont' forget to hang the disco ball in the center of the room. Maybe some blue neon lights around the base boards...

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

MNotary

Reaction
A good epoxy paint cleans easy and will hold up to brake fluid with a tire on it. Good prep pays off. I have seen the results of poor prep. One gallon of muratic acid added to 3 gallons of water. (add the acid to the water) Use a stiff bristle broom to scrub it in. Wet the floor out before you pour the acid solution. You don't want to pour onto dry concrete. A garden sprinkler can works good for pouring. Rinse well. This etches and cleans. Then use one pint of amonia in four gallons of water. This neutralizes the acid and cleans. That is one of the cheapest and best ways to get good adhesion for the floor paint. It can still be a little damp and you can paint.

I like those cabinets...for sure... But if you want to hold the price down, beef up some home depot specials. I did get a oak work bench ($100) and covered it with a piece of galvanized steel that I had left over. This is a disassembly and cleaning table. I have some other tables that have the formica type surface and another small table with a aluminum top. Most of the stuff I made from 2x4s' and plywood. They are heavy though if you have to move it. I saw a garage that all the tables and equipment rolled. Roll it away and park the car inside.

I painted my shop 10 years ago... dish soap and a mop and it looks like new. The paint was expensive, but it is worth it. The light paint color gives good light reflection. If you aren't doing a bunch of mechanic work it may be overkill.

mxjeremy

Reaction
dude, you should paint the floor black.
then, drop a bunch of greasy nuts and bolts, scatter them around a bit, and see if you can find all of them again. if you don't have any spare bolts, just get some off of your truck or something. j/k
late.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
As of now, my plans are to build a workbench/workstation out of wood and cover it with formica or wood covered with stainless. It will be bolted to the floor and if time and $ permit, I will paint the floor as suggested. It shouldn't be too hard to add a sink because I took pictures as to where the plumbing is in the walls before they drywalled. Thank you for all of your suggestions and comments.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I have an epoxy finish on my shop/garage floor. It even stands up to race gas.

PJCinLV

MNotary

Reaction
I have had good luck with this epoxy floor paint. Pro Line Tech coating, Formula 152 (white) $87/ 2 gal. $425 for 10 gal. ( a real shop!!!) Sherwin Williams is a distributor and it may be a little cheaper.

I am doing some more painting and thought you would like to know.