gas cans

xdesertracer

Reaction
anybody have the word on the gas can thing that the chp/sheriff/rangers are busting people for and what the law/ rule for authorized gas cans is. does the just mean the plastic jugs with the clear filler hose's OR must you have the red plastic can/jug with all the info on the side.
from what i get the fines are $200 to 250 a can for illegal/unapproved containers

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
jesus what next!! these guys are plain out of control

Jack

Reaction
What I have heard is that all gas must have the safety spouts on them that only open when they are pushed into a gas filler.
As anybody that has tryed these things will tell you, they go very slow and you end up droping more gas on the ground then in the tank.

Not sure how this relates to compition events.

lngtrvlchev

Reaction
this has been a law for the past 4 years or so, just depends who might/will start enforcing it. fuel needs to be stored in a certified fuel container. like said above what most of us know as gas cans (plastic 5 gallon can with plastic hose) are sold in Calfiornia as utility jugs not gas cans.

NIKAL

Reaction
I too have heard of new gas can laws but I dont know anything and cant find anything posted about it. I searched the Ca.gov OHV section and nothing. The Ca.gov OHV site is so out of date, the latest California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Law rule book posted to download is 2008. I checked the BLM.gov site and they too have nothing posted under their OHV section about gas cans. I then looked on the ASA website as they are really good about posting new rules and laws regarding the sand dunes. I could not find anything their either.

My suggestion is if the BLM / LEO/ Ranger tries to give you a ticket ask him where it is publicly posted and can he show you as you cant find any info on it. Then if he still gives you the ticket fight it in court. I can almost guaranty you would win as Ca.gov's own website only has 2008 rules and laws posted, and the BLM website says nothing about it either.

200MPHTape

Reaction
The only law pertaining to PFC's(portable fuel containers) As of July 1, 2007, all PFCs sold in California must be certified by the Air Resources Board as meeting low-emission standards and regulatory requirements.
It's only against the law to sell them as a gas can without the stupid top!
http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/fuel-containers/pfc/pfc.htm

Chas Moore

Reaction
Those cans suck, we end up ripping all the springs out and tacking the hose down somehow.

Wonder what the BLM things about "DUMP cans" jajaja

turbotexas

Reaction
CARB nazi's and revenue generation!!! This happens when the economy goes bad... We are seeing stupid laws written in the trucking industry also. I had a 2 year battle with the nazi's at CARB... Over a engine label on my Cat motor that had "overspray" on it! Eventually after nearly 2 years of down right argueing with them they released the lean on my truck... They at one time tried to extort me out of $1800.00 dollars...
A lot of Over the Road truckers WILL NOT come to California any more because of this kind of Bull **
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!****
mexico-flag.png
¡Ay, caramba!**... I keep coming because it pays so damn good to come out there!!! You just have to cover your arse when it comes to things like this... Store your fuel in a walmart gas can, then use the "utility jugs" to pour into your bike or quad etc...
And yes these "walmart" jugs are useless and I spill more that I used to with the old red gas jugs???

loufish

Reaction
If the law reads that "unlawful" gas containers can't be sold, then you can't get a ticket for just owning one....I'm willing to bet nobody's has really gotten a ticket for this..it's just turned into this internet myth....

Dirtracer 619

Reaction
Kind of whish there was a BLM offroader on this site, who could keep us in the loop with rules and such

I Dont mind following the rules I just want to know what they are before hand

dnf736

Reaction
So if your dump can is illegal then what does that make a 5 gal. can of C12?

This topic has spread like crazy on several MX boards but it’s always the same thing...." I heard"! Not one "I got a ticket for"... just rumor and speculation....

Just sayin

Reaction
My understanding is that it is illegal to sell the "old" cans for gas - that is why you see them marked as storage (water, etc.) containers and not gas cans. It is not illegal to use your old gas cans.

bob91yj

Reaction
That's what I was wondering about. Although they are likely uncertified they do not spill and do not vent to the atmosphere.

Unless you have some kind of vapor recovery system, they all vent to the atmosphere, even fuel towers.

I always thought you only had to use the new style spouts for "on-highway" refueling.

BUSBY

Scrambler
Reaction
I know a little bit about this. CARB is the enforcing agency ... and they are able to issue citations to retailers and distributors selling illegal GAS/FUEL cans (up to $500 per container sold). This law is only enforced on gas/fuel cans under 10 gallons. Since dump cans are rapid refueling devices used for motorsports events only, CARB isn't concerned with them.

The end user will not be issued a ticket.

We only sell waste/water/utility jugs ... if you want a GAS/FUEL can, go to Pep Boys.

BUSBY

Scrambler
Reaction
So if your dump can is illegal then what does that make a 5 gal. can of C12?

This topic has spread like crazy on several MX boards but it’s always the same thing...." I heard"! Not one "I got a ticket for"... just rumor and speculation....

Just sayin

C12 is racing fuel that is supposed to be used in racing vehicles only ... so it isn't regulated the same as a GAS/FUEL can that will most likely carry pump gas.

And you are right ... all those other threads are just rumors. What I have posted here is fact. Been dealing with it a lot lately.