gas door

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I will be buying my fiberglass bedsides soon in about 2 weeks i hope and the company that has them only have the bedsides with the gas door on it. i do not want this but since im getting the bedsides really cheaply what is the best way to fill in this void? i may run the gas filler neck there for a while but i do not want to have this forever. any ideas?

Gregg

evan_clanin

Reaction
what if u just kitty haired around it and that might hold it in place or maby a fiberglass repair kit to make it one piece, ive never done this before, jsut a though, its what i would do, or try to do any ways

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
If you can get a square piece of fiber that is already set up (think 4"x4" piece of bedside or whatever), use that. That way you take the chunk and cut it to fit/fill the gas door and level it w/ the rest of the bedside body line. Lay some new fiber over the back to attach it to the rest of the bedside. Fill the rest of the gap w/ resin and sand - DONE. This way might work a little better then just using fiberglass cloth and resining the whole thing. When doing it that way, the resing gets REALLY heavy for the cloth and will sag leaving a big bump or dent in the bedside if you don't have it supported perfectly. Steve

hxckidd

Reaction
another tip that might help is that resin and fiberglass doesnt stick to wax paper all that well. so you can tap off one side of the bedside with wax paper to give it a bit of form so that it will not just fall out of the hole.

hoeker

Reaction
re: "Fill the rest of the gap w/ resin and sand"

NEVER just fill with resin. fiberglass resin is very brittle without the glass fibers. if you can't grind the area down to put glass and resin in it use bondo, or kitty hair.

the easiest way would be to just kity hair the door in, this could be very successful, could not be though.

i would cut a patch the right size, grind 1/4 through both from the back, then fiberglass it in place. after this has set grind 1/2 through from the out side and fiberglass the front. sand this as flush as possible, then bondo for a perfect finish.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
"resin in it use bondo, or kitty hair."

Don't you think that will hurt his cat?

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."